This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Possibly the worst part about being insecure about your body is seeing the media represent what currently is the “perfect body”. The body that you should have and will get you adored and noticed by many others. Which curves you need and which muscles need to be toned up. Where you need more fat and less fat. Which parts need some buffing up and need slimming down. We can’t escape it, especially since we praise those that do have the set “perfect body” and envy what they have.

I always compared my body to those on the big screen. Did I have thin enough thighs? But wait now everyone wants girls with thick thighs? A slim waist is wanted but at the same time having curves is desired? How am I to have big boobs and a big butt and a thin waist? Why don’t I look like those I see in media? It was a constant struggle wanting to look like what it seemed everyone wanted. I knew there was no such thing as a “perfect body” but it was all I was craving to have. It was what I believed I needed to have. Everything I read online seemed to point to fixing your body, whether it be to have a “revenge body” or ads on the side of websites saying how to smaller your waist line. The latest celebrity diet plan would be saved on my phone and I would monitor all that I would eat just so I can fit the current trend. It wasn’t until recently that I realized that that was all it was: a trend.

I wish I had realized this sooner, that everything that being praised on media for the most part was just a trend just like how clothes are. But my body isn’t a trend, it’s my body- one to take care of and keep healthy. I shouldn’t rearrange my body every year just to fit what’s currently in style. I shouldn’t have to strive for thin legs for one year and then try to get thicker ones the next. I should do what’s in my ability to keep healthy and realize that media will always be changing the latest look and that I will not always fit it, nor should I try to.

I have a muffin top and a tummy but I work out and eat as healthy as I can. I shouldn’t change my whole routine just to have the body of a celebrity when the next day the spotlight could be on someone totally different. I need to focus on myself and keep myself healthy both physically and mentally. Not everyone’s genes are designed to look or become a certain way and that’s perfectly okay and hopefully that becomes more well known. Our bodies are to ourselves, and we need to learn to accept the vessel we’re in and realize that the “perfect body” is a fluid term without a set image and that there never will be a set image. The closest way to getting a perfect body is being happy in the one we’re in.