My Battle With Self-Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Throughout my life I have always had the internal conflict of believing that I wasn’t up to social standards of beauty. From my bushy eyebrows to my small gapped teeth, I felt like every insecurity I had became magnified when people would talk to me.

Photo by Pixabay. 

The Fear

This constant fear peaked as I turned 16 and the world became engrossed in beauty trends and instant remedies. From then on, my self-esteem fell down the ladder and I found myself shying away from things I onced loved. Fearing everything from public speaking to even going out with friends to parties, I became consumed with agitation of not looking how I wanted to look.

The Healing

Believing more in myself came with a heavy uphill battle. It wasn’t as easy as how media depicts esteem conflicts, you can’t just wake up from your nightmare. You have to allow yourself time to heal and to step back from any platforms or means necessary. What helped me the most is stepping back from social media I onced became enveloped in. Deleting apps that made me feel low about myself made me gain some control in my life again.

The Growing

Healing takes time. But having people understand your position in life and want the best for you helps. Always remember that although it’s stereotypical to say; perfection doesn’t exist. You are blessed with features of strength and uniqueness, embrace them and love them.

Hi there, for any questions or feedback, feel free to contact me at soapbach@gmail.com.