fall ig captions?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
fall ig captions?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Warner Bros. Television / Canva
Style > Fashion

My 5 Fall Fashion Icons

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

I look forward to whipping out my fall wardrobe all year, and now that it’s finally time to do so, I thought I would share five of my fashion icons for this fall. And yes, most of them are fictional characters.

Lorelai Gilmore

Fall is Gilmore Girls Season. This is just a fact of life. Sure, the picturesque East Coast setting and small town festivals could be a contributing factor, but I am in it for the real star of the show: Lorelai Gilmore’s Wardrobe. From her corduroy jackets to her boots to her funky graphic tees, she single handedly mastered the art of fall layering. 

crWYbrWh7MolR0bUIIQ pCmF9BVkG SP1WenoRncyYuLVldCpvDHkKq3ejSie6cpiQ7Fw10sR70zjnzFek9EKokVTPawq3JTdoLcq2knd0fXAgfY EbBr u9qzwwWfsgd6NBXkr7z ZrEBuw2 eD uI

Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

Before there were Pinterest girlies, there was Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. Her ability to make even the most basic and humble pieces covetable, echoing a Princess Diana aesthetic, captured the attention of the media. Ralph Lauren was reported to have given his designers instructions to use her as their muse because of how effortlessly effortless her looks were. Her minimalistic fall aesthetic gives cozy chic. 

5YahQTpmjr7PTO BkHLIT6Yk4Gy9MaviqQ75u TfeDq hsCTjiHEfJSNiMBXHhhGutqkBjueEmmVUw4UB51RTKy

All Of Meg Ryan’s Characters

Meg Ryan is the personification of fall for some of us. She has given us a plethora of fall looks through Sally Albright, Annie Reed, and Kathleen Kelly. More specifically, generations of fans have been inspired to live out their autumnal rom-com fantasies through their style, inspired by Ryan’s wardrobe choices for these three characters. She teaches us that cable knit sweaters and turtlenecks are the foundation of any fall outfit, and her characters prefer their closet staples over particular statement pieces.  

4OWkuNITNjPb33zje1zIZUTu4EhItR483DC8iepj1tGulsT5QHIyJdmou6fqtRMX1px5Oy4sk8RGtEy5AQpvg 6WN0N5dsRqSKruUi6uauzcr1MRLAoXiMW9c0 1Tm3GIA1jCAp74EZl8SpF y1UUCs

Sally and Gilly

Not only is Practical Magic my favorite movie, but it is also my inspiration for most things in my life. Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman mastered the whimsy-goth look. There are lots of large, cozy sweaters worn over frilly slip dresses and of course, 90s fashion pieces, including long floral skirts, chokers, and purple wire-rimmed glasses. A bonus accessory for this look is of course a black cat.

PdDCSoXQjomFV3YnvZHzVDUv74VHCJB76IWv6Ayu6XslRq nYPMU3 BYu15FuKntLcC8bsaaXHOfy6jgufEtHsOG gWuvUes34dz6Jz7S4gauR3iGcit6S CXW7wPrdv8YJj6jQFSrPBBS2RaH4fvlM

Aria Montgomery

Aria Montgomery has been one of my fashion icons since I watched Pretty Little Liars in its entirety at eight years old. In the earlier seasons, her eclectic style had a romantic gothic feel. She wasn’t afraid of fishnets, large accessories, or feathers. Since the show took place in Pennsylvania, we get numerous fall looks from Aria. Boots and colorful tights are quintessential fall styling choices.

VyNdUyMq ke7qh6snOCN8ElLETorni8 yox1BA9 tn94ysXf7 R2g0y8Zb3YoAYE1EDFsTJzBhTRmOs mKPHcDYTX8nJjjWxkP 80y aEbR pjD6GDoEH5ZoxCcj1a7XSNhZlHO jkzEp7ENnXQe0

Lilah Rivera

San Francisco '27

Hi! My name is Lilah. I am from San Diego, CA and I am a first year dietetics major at SFSU