samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive Midterms This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

With half of the semester almost over, that can only mean one thing for college students – midterms.

No matter what year you are, midterms or any exam can be daunting and stressful. 

Here are six survival tips for your college midterms, so you can slay your way through the rest of the semester.  

1. Take care of you

With midterms, it’s easy to get caught up on the grind of studying and “not having enough time” in the day to take care of yourself. Small acts of self-care such as taking a bubble bath when you’re done studying, getting enough sleep, and staying hydrated throughout the day will help you retain the information you study and keep your stress levels down.

2. Utilize your planner

As a college student, I would be completely lost without my planner. Not only is it useful for keeping track of important events and dates, but staying on top of exam dates. That way you won’t be having a mini heart attack on the day of your midterm.

3. Don’t cram it all

Don’t cram all of your information. Just don’t do it. Cramming all of the information the night before your exam is not an effective study tool. Rather than trying to memorize all of the information in one night, study in intervals.

For example, try breaking up your textbook or reading materials throughout the week before your midterm or exam. The night before, review the information you don’t know and skim through the information you know by heart. This will make studying easier.

4. Do what works for you

There is really no “right way” to study. Some people prefer flashcards and study guides, while others prefer watching videos that review course material.

In the end, your method of studying should be what works the best for you, whether it’s highlighting your textbook, rewriting notes, or even studying with a friend.

5. Attend office hours

Often taken for granted, office hours are a great way for you to connect with your professor on any information presented in class. If you’re feeling clueless in one area, attend your professor’s office hours and have them help you review the material you don’t understand.

6. Minimize distractions

When you’re studying for an exam, minimize your distractions as much as possible. If this means turning off your phone notifications for an hour or two, leaving your room to head to the library, or changing your music playlist to a song without lyrics to help you stay more focused, then do it.

Good luck with exams!