From Stress to Success: How to Prepare for Midterms and Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

We all understand balancing work, life, and school is hard. It can be a real struggle, and it’s easy to feel like you’re drowning in a sea of assignments, exams, and projects. But don’t worry! You can get through all those tests like a boss and achieve all your academic goals with some tips and tricks. Check out these helpful tips to prepare for midterms and finals:

GET SOME SLEEP

Getting enough sleep is crucial when preparing for finals and midterms. Despite normalizing all-nighters in college life, they can be counterproductive and negatively impact academic performance. When you don’t get enough sleep (7-9 uninterrupted hours), it can lead to several setbacks that you don’t want to encounter while studying.

• Reduced focus
  • Poor judgment
  • Poor memory retention

When it comes down to crunch time for studying, one of the best things you can do is take a nap. 

I know it sounds crazy, naps can seem like a waste of time, but I promise, taking a 20-30 minute nap is just enough time to feel refreshed and recharged. If you nap any longer, you could experience sleep inertia which will leave you feeling groggy, disoriented, and drowsy—none of those you want to experience while trying to study. 

Prioritize assignments and manage deadlines

Along with having midterms and finals, we still have assignments and projects to complete. It is essential to prioritize assignments based on their importance and due dates and plan accordingly. Complete more straightforward assignments (discussion responses, reading reflections, short essays) first and save the more time-consuming assignments (research papers, case studies, presentations) until later. When you do tackle those longer assignments, make sure to take breaks while working. Usually, I like to work for 20 minutes, then take a 5-minute break to not burn myself out or become distracted. 

Another way to ease the burden of having assignments and projects pile up while trying to study is to complete those assignments and projects as soon as possible. If this isn’t feasible, do only a small part of the assignment or project daily. Twenty minutes of work here and there come in handy, especially when that deadline comes up. 

Use active learning techniques

Using active learning techniques outside the classroom can help you engage with the material more and improve your understanding, therefore having a better academic outcome. Here are a few that are easy to do while studying. 

• Work with study partners: Go over the material with a study partner or study group, and ask questions or quiz each other on the material. Working with a partner or group can help you gain different views on the material and explain any confusion.
  • Summarize and reorganize notes: Instead of constantly reading over your notes, try rephrasing them in your own words or reorganizing them into a concept map or outline. Reorganizing your notes can help you better understand and retain the material.
  • Use flashcards or quizzes: Create flashcards or online quizzes to test your understanding and practice active recall. This method can help you recognize areas needing additional studying and track your progress.
  • Teach the material to someone else: Try teaching the material to a friend or family member unfamiliar with the topic. Reciting the material to them can help you solidify your understanding and identify areas where you need additional studying. Have them ask questions to test your explanation and summarization skills. This one can be a fun one with the right person.

Take breaks

Taking breaks while studying is essential, especially when preparing for a midterm or final. 

Taking a break is beneficial for several reasons:

• Improves focus and productivity
  • Helps prevent burnout
  • Reduces stress
  • Enhances memory strength

When taking a break, reward yourself with a light and healthy snack, a short walk, or getting up and doing some stretches. Anything simple and refreshing is excellent during a study break to get you refocused and ready to study again.

Seek help if needed.

Sometimes we have moments where we have writer’s block or have a hard time understanding an assignment or sitting still and getting it done. San Francisco State University has a free service called TASC (Tutoring and Academic Support Center), where students can receive additional support in completing or revising assignments.

You can overcome all the midterm/final season challenges with all these tips. So keep your hopes up, stay optimistic, and remember that every action you take toward your academic success brings you closer to your goals and dreams. Good luck and happy studying!

Starr Washington

San Francisco '25

Hey everyone! I'm Starr and I serve as the Senior Editor for Her Campus at San Francisco. I'm currently a third year student at San Francisco State University majoring in Broadcast Electronic Communication Arts with a minor in Africana Studies. As Senior Editor, I am extremely passionate about amplifying the voices of my diverse team of writers. In my rare free time, I enjoy relaxing with my dog, watching reruns of my favorite shows, and scrolling on Instagram. Speaking of Instagram follow me @starr_wash!