thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

Black Mental Health Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

During these past two years, there’s been an emphasis and demand on the importance of mental health awareness. However, in the Black community, mental health is still considered taboo. For Gen-Z, we have been taught that discussing mental health is a sign of weakness since childhood.

We’ve been told:

• “Don’t go telling all those folks your business.”
  • “What happens in this house stays in this house.”
  • “Put on your big girl/boy pants.”
  • This narrative makes Black folks believe that they can’t talk about their emotions to anyone. They’ll neglect their feelings and are more likely to suppress any struggles they are facing because they are told to “deal with it” independently. This systemic and social problem needs to be addressed now more than ever. The power behind this cultural stigma leaves many black folks with undiagnosed or misdiagnosed mental disorders and illnesses that can damage their quality of life. It’s not easy being Black in America; we are met with trauma, unfairness, and injustices time and time again, yet we have no outlet for it. Only 4.1% of therapists in the United States identify as Black or African American, which explains why many Black folks don’t seek professional help. Black patients feel more comfortable and are better understood by Black therapists. Another factor that prohibits Black folks from seeking help is that many therapists prefer not to work with health insurers. They aren’t paid adequately for their services through insurance. They choose to work independently and set their own prices and rates. So even if you do have health insurance, if your insurer doesn’t have any mental health providers in their network, you’re stuck with two options:
  • Paying an out-of-pocket cost for a mental healthcare professional
  • Not meeting with a mental healthcare professional Both of these are unfair options, mental health is just as important as physical health and should not be ignored or dismissed. If you are in search of mental healthcare services and support, please consider the following:
  • Free for S.F. State Students:
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (C.A.P.S.)
  • https://therapyforblackgirls.com
  • https://therapyforblackmen.org
  • https://www.blackmentalwellness.com
Starr Washington

San Francisco '25

Hey everyone! I'm Starr and I serve as the Senior Editor for Her Campus at San Francisco. I'm currently a third year student at San Francisco State University majoring in Broadcast Electronic Communication Arts with a minor in Africana Studies. As Senior Editor, I am extremely passionate about amplifying the voices of my diverse team of writers. In my rare free time, I enjoy relaxing with my dog, watching reruns of my favorite shows, and scrolling on Instagram. Speaking of Instagram follow me @starr_wash!