Room Makeovers for Cancer Patients from Savvy Giving by Design

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

We have found an incredible local San Diego project that gives us goose bumps!

Susan Wintersteen, an interior designer, has taken her passion and used it to help cancer patients in need. She has started a project called Savvy Giving by Design. This is a program that raises money through donations, all of which goes toward room makeovers for cancer patients while they are in treatment. This project allows the patients to come home to the room of their dreams and uplifts their spirits in a time of need. Check out their website.

“In December of 2014 we were introduced to a local 13 year old girl, Kasey Harvey, diagnosed with Rhabdomysarcoma. This cancer needed aggressive long term treatment. A group of us rallied together to makeover Kasey’s room and give her the room of her dreams to make her life a little easier as she endured brutal radiation and chemotherapy. Through this experience, Savvy, Giving by Design was created. Throughout the year we will take on several pro bono design projects that allow us as designers to give our time and talent to individuals in crisis. Our community of support on the Go Fund Me page has been overwhelming and we would love to pay it forward.”

Kasey Harvey, a north county San Diego teen, is continuing to fight. Her inspiring motto is “Losing is not an option!” See her emotional story on the Channel 10 news segment here.

On Savvy Giving by Design’s Facebook page, they introduce us and keep us up to date on the progress of the beautiful children they are creating these rooms for. These children are all chosen through word of mouth from family and friends, and donations are collected online. With a little help from all of us, we can contribute to this beautiful cause and put a smile on a young cancer patients face, like Susan Wintersteen.

If you would like to help donate to this wonderful cause, check out their donation website or their facebook page to find out how you can get involved in this amazing cause. If you would like to write a letter to Kacey, you may do so through contacting our own USD student Michelle Wintersteen, Susan’s daughter, who would be happy to collect and bring them to beautiful Kacey.

Madi Taylor, is an 11 year old who was diagnosed with cancer after doctors found a tumor in her hip. Savvy Giving by Design is taking on her bedroom makeover as their next project! In efforts to fundraise, Studio SWEAT is hosting a charity ride on 4/29 and 5/2. Check out their Facebook event for more details.

If you are interested in getting involved, contact Michelle Wintersteen at mwintersteen@sandiego.edu and be sure to join the group page to keep up to date on the design projects in progress!

Kasey and Madi we wish you the best of luck in your fight!

California girl, born and raised in San Diego. Love sushi, Law and Order: SVU, and the beach. Communication major and English minor. Hoping to become a sports broadcaster one day. Love traveling, sports, and spending time with my family and friends. Check out @kellylinne on Instagram for more.