New app, Unifyed, to take USD by Storm!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Everywhere you turn at USD, it seems like someone has a new, creative, and innovative idea. Whether it be and app, a product, or something to make USD a better place… innovation is everywhere. So much so that USD actually has its own Entrepreneurship Club. This week we interviewed the president of the club, USD senior Daniel Murray. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, Daniel later moved to San Diego where he attended Torrey Pines High School. He then attended the University of Cincinnati on a football scholarship before transferring to USD where he has had his greatest success- creating the app Unifyed.

Here’s what he had to say about the app- from the initial idea, process, and design, to how it will benefit students at USD.

Her Campus (HC): Explain a little bit about what Unifyed is!

Daniel Murray (DM): Unifyed is a exclusive social network for a college campus! It allows students to share and discover what’s happening on and around campus in real time. For example: events, local deals, selling textbooks, or just finding people who have similar interests to them.

HC: Why is it something you think people will use?

DM: I believe that students will use this because it is a private network just for them and their campus. It a great way for students to explore their campus in a new way. Not to mention, it’s just students on the app!

HC: How can it benefit students?

DM: Students can reach out to their campus on one easy-to-use platform. They will be able to see what’s happening, join new groups, or meet new friends that they never would’ve if they did not have the app. We also got local businesses to get deals for students on the app so it is tailored for students. The great thing is USD and SDSU are helping to create the perfect college app… so if any students have recommendations for the app, do not be afraid to reach out.

HC: What inspired you to start an app?

DM: My Co Founders and I wanted to create a business that will help make a student’s life easier and benefit students in a positive way. It just happened that the app was the perfect way to achieve these goals.

HC: What has the process been like?

DM: Creating Unifyed has been a long process and took a lot of testing and pivoting to end up with the idea Unifyed. It’s been long hours and many obstacles, but the great thing is the Unifyed team is doing what we love and want the best platform for college students, so I would not change this journey for anything.

HC: What are your goals for the future of Unifyed?

DM: Our goals for Unifyed is to be on every campus in the nation so every student has the benefit of reaching and discovering their whole campus with no barriers. The great thing is USD is creating this app for possibly every student around the nation.

HC: What does it mean to “sign up for beta”

DM: Sign up for the beta just means sign up for the first version of our app so when it comes out we can send you an email.  Beta just means we are testing to see what students like and dislike about the app and how can we make it better

HC: Have you been working with other people on this?

DM: Yes, I have two amazing Co founders, Eric Bunnell and Ravdeep Johar. Eric and I met in a marketing class at USD where we won a competition that Qualcomm held and got internships… that’s where we meet our other founder RJ. We all have skills that complement each other and it makes working with them really fun and exciting.

The best part about Unifyed right now? Your feedback actually makes a difference. Download the app in the app store to help Daniel and his team make it even better, and to see for yourself what a great tool it is on campus! Learn even more by visiting their Facebook page and website.

The first major launch event that Unifyed hosted was the tailgate for the USD vs SDSU football game. It was the ultimate success!

san francisco, ca Sports Reporter at NBC sunshine enthusiast