Me, me, me : 8 ways to have a “ME” day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

My love for people is like my love for dark chocolate. Whoa, did I just say that? Yes, yes I did. You see I ,Vanessa ‘vannhern’ Hernandez, am very much a people person. An extrovert in nature, I get shear enjoyment from surrounding myself with others. Whether you’re an old friend, a new friend, or a stranger I haven’t befriended yet, being with people genuinely makes my heart smile.

The same goes for dark chocolate (kind of); whether it’s Hershey’s, Godiva, or Brookside dark chocolate, I love it all. But, even though I capital L-O-V-E dark chocolate, I can’t really eat it every single hour of every day. That wouldn’t be so great. Similarly, in the way that I can’t eat dark chocolate all the time, I cannot, sadly, be around people every single hour of every day.

With doing school work, going to work, and constantly balancing this need to be both Mindy Kaling and Beyonce at the same time, I find myself craving those days where all I really want to do is hang out with one of my favorite people, me! I truly believe that having “me” days keeps a person sane. Whether it’s for 15 minutes or for an entire day, spending time with yourself can serve as a crucial way to rid yourself of stress. So, with that being said, yours truly has compiled a list of easy “me” things you can do with yourself!

1. “ I woke up like this”- Wake up when you want to wake up. Whether you’re an early bird or someone that sleeps until 12, let yourself naturally wake up. 

2. Are you a cereal person? An acai lover? Treat yourself to something you know you’ll love. I really like dark chocolate but I’m also a big sucker for a good acai bowl. Holla at Mission Break!

3. Now, walk it out! Going for a walk for however long you want it to be gives you the time to get some fresh air and let your mind wander.

4. Don’t really want to leave your house? How about a mini dance party?! Or not? Listening to music, lip-syncing your heart out, and letting your body feel the rhythm can help shake out some stress you might have. My go to song? “Love on Top” by queen Beyonce.

5. Another way to have a “me” day is to do the classic Netflix and chill. I love popping on some Saved by the Bell and letting Zack Morris be my guide. Wasn’t he a gem? Call me Kelly Kapowski!

6. What if you’re not necessarily home but you need a 30 minute “me” break at school? Check out Hulu! I’ve definitely pretended I was doing homework when really I was….

7. Are you a reader? Reading is pretty hip! A book can be magical in the way it can transport you into another world where your problems are no where to be found!

8) My last “me” thing you can do is to take time at the end of your day to focus on yourself, your breath, and just reflect on your day. How are you doing? I like to watch the sunset and just listen to myself. Even if you don’t want to watch the sunset, take a few minutes to reflect in whatever way you can.

And that’s a wrap! So… I have to ask. Now that you have some ideas for your next “me” day, when are you going to have your “me” day? We all need one and you, my beautiful reader, definitely deserve it! Stay golden. 

Oh, hello there! I'm, you guessed it, Vanessa! I like dark chocolate, long walks to the couch, taking hip-happening pictures, and making people laugh. Communications & Politcal Science Major. You can find me on the Instagram @vannhern.