Internships 101: Tips to Getting Your Dream Internship this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Diego chapter.

Internships are so important for undergrad students. Aside from being great for your resume, they offer amazing experience on what it would be like to work in the field. Haven’t had an internship yet? Applying for one is not as scary as it seems. Here are some tips to find the perfect internship and make the most of your time once hired!

1. Decide what you want.

What field do you want to get in to? What are your interests? What area has your major started to prepare you for? These are all important questions to ask yourself when looking at companies. Make sure you look at what opportunities they offer their interns, such as traditional “intern work” (filing, organizing papers, getting coffee) or something that will offer you more hands on and involved tasks. Find an internship that will help you learn and give you skills to add to your resume.

2. Do your research.

Some companies have better-known internship programs than others; knowing this before you apply will set you up for success. Research exactly what internships will help you succeed and move toward reaching your career goals. Knowing about the company will also help you look extra prepared in an interview!

3. Push yourself!

No internships in your area? Move away for a summer! Big cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles are the perfect places to look for internships. Big cities have tons of companies and there is bound to be one that will meet your needs! It can definitely be daunting to move somewhere new, but this experience will make you more confident and prepared for a real job after graduation.

4. Have your Resume polished.

Often times potential employers will ask for your resume before anything else. Making sure that it’s organized and up-to-date is very important! Resumes can be tailored to the job you’re applying to, for example, for a PR company include that one Social Media class you took, or for a Creative Company include any art classes you may have taken. Making sure your skill set matches the skills they look for in an intern is key and will definitely set you apart from other candidates.

5. But what if I don’t have much on my resume?

Is this your first time applying for an internship? That’s okay! Many people are fearful of applying because they don’t have any past work experience. But you have to start somewhere! Chances are there are more things to add to your resume than you would think. Classes, clubs, community service and skills are great things to include. Leadership, teamwork and enthusiasm are traits that any company would be happy to employ!

6. Prepare for the interview.

So you got an interview, that means you’re halfway there! Interviews are often the toughest part. The key to feeling confident in an interview is to prepare. Knowing about the company, what they do, who their clients are and what their policy’s include will help you answer any question they throw your way. Preparing for  tasks they might ask you to complete as part of your interview is also important. For example, press releases, writing samples and working with computers are all tests that companies could potentially put you through. Being calm, cool, and collected is the key to confidence in interviews!

During the interview don’t forget to ask questions. Asking about what specific tasks you will be involved in and what they expect of their interns shows your engagement and enthusiasm.

7. Follow Up.

This tip is something that will really set you apart from other candidates applying for your position. After the interview, be sure to send a follow-up thank you note to the employee who conducted your interview. Expressing your thanks for their time and consideration is a small gesture that will never go unnoticed! Sending an email or even a handwritten note takes only a few minutes and could be a deal breaker.

Got the internship, what’s next?!

8. First day.

The first day of any internship is daunting and overwhelming. Don’t let it be! The best way to feel more confident is to be over prepared. Have a folder with multiple copies of your resume, writing samples and any personal information for forms you will probably have to fill out. Bring a notebook and pen because the first day is full of new and important information.

Dress for success! Often times a dress code will be given to you before your first day, but if it’s not, go for business casual. Make sure your outfit isn’t too tight, short or revealing. You want to feel comfortable and not have to worry about buttons popping or a skirt riding up!

9. Make your best first impression.

Make sure to be friendly but not over the top. Introduce yourself to fellow interns and co-workers, all while trying your hardest to remember their names. Forming relationships with co-workers will make the work environment less scary, as they will likely give you tips during your time there, and they may even become references for future internships! Make sure you are engaged and listening whenever people speak to you. Writing down things people tell you will show them you take it seriously, and it will definitely be useful to have those notes!

10. The MOST important thing: Work hard and enjoy!

Internships are so unique and something that should definitely be taken advantage of in college. Working with industry professionals and being held accountable as part of the team is something that will surely give you a leg up in the workforce after graduation. Internships will open your eyes to what the “real-world” is like, and help you learn about and find a job that doesn’t even feel like work. Internships are meant to be fun, so whether you’re getting paid, getting credit, or getting knowledge, make the most of your time as an intern and enjoy yourself!

At USD we are lucky to have so many resources to help us find our dream internships. From Job Fairs, Industry Panels, to Career Services, there are countless ways to find support and encouragement!

san francisco, ca Sports Reporter at NBC sunshine enthusiast