Your First Six Steps on a Journey to Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

We are often told that one of the most important things we can do is to love ourselves. But do we really know what that means? “I’m not pretty enough”. “I’m not thin enough”. “I’m not smart enough”.  These negative thoughts cloud our heads and skew our perception of reality.

The truth is, we all are enough and we are all capable of feeling that way. Engaging in daily practices of self-love can do wonders for your self-esteem, health, and performance. Yes, if you love yourself you will actually find yourself doing better.

The steps are simple and small, but the key is repetition and dedication. When you first begin you may feel silly or ingenuous. That is okay. As you continue, you will find yourself actually believing your words, thoughts, and actions.

Step 1: Upon waking up in the morning look in the mirror and tell yourself “I love you” over and over again.

If this feels awkward at first, lay in bed and repeat to yourself “I love myself”.  Do not give up on this step. As you continue, this will become a cornerstone in your morning routine.

Step 2: Stop the negativity.

If you catch yourself thinking negatively, immediately stop yourself, ask why you are being so harsh, and critically evaluate if this is justifiable. Do your best to replace those negative thoughts with more positive ones. For example, change “I am so stupid, I definitely failed that exam” to “geez, that exam was hard, I should go talk to the professor to see how I can tweak my study skills for next time”.  

Step 3: Eat foods that embodies love, energy, and positivity.

One of the biggest changes that helped me on my self-love journey was the transition to a whole-food plant-based diet. I am talking about fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and seeds. These foods provide you with energy without causing bloating. If you think about it, when we consume animal products, we are consuming all the suffering, pain, and death the animal endured. It is no wonder it leaves people feeling sluggish and depressed. Eat colorful, simple, and delicious foods.

Step 4: Move your body!

Engaging in physical activity like running, walking, yoga, lifting, or gymnastics releases endorphins in the brain and help make us happy and relieve stress. Further, dedicating yourself to an activity and recognizing improvement builds confidence. If running, yoga, or lifting sound too overwhelming, try going for a walk outside. Separating yourself from daily stresses will do wonders for your self-image.

Step 5: Focus on the present.

As much as we hate to admit it, the current moment is all we have. People often spend a lot of time dwelling on the past or worried about the future. This does not do us any good. Try to be engaged in the present moment. The truth is, it has all you need. Take time each day to focus on your environment. How do you feel on the inside? On the outside? What does the present moment look, smell, taste, and sound like? You will find yourself being a lot more appreciative of what you have and where you are by doing this.

Step 6: Practice gratitude.

Take time each evening to journal 3 things from that day that brought you joy or that you are grateful for. Do this for 21 days and see if you notice a difference in how you feel. Acknowledging the positive things that happen to us, trains the brain to be happier when they occur.  A lot of people set goals, reach them, and then set new ones. Take time to be thankful and satisfied for your achievements. By training the brain to be more thankful, you will feel more content when you reach big goals rather than immediately pushing yourself further.

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.