The Top 10 Reasons You Should Be Masturbating Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Masturbation has gotten a bad rap over the years. Even now in 2017, as progressive as many have become, girls still aren’t taught about masturbation and how great it can be for them. Here’s a short list to *ahem* get you started.  

1. You get to know your own body better.

This is great because regardless of if you’re having sex or not, you know what does and doesn’t work for you. If you do choose to have sex in the future you’ll be better able to tell you partner what you like and what you don’t.

2. Masturbating can improve your sex life

As mentioned in rule number one, getting to know yourself is the best way to help your partner to learn what you like. A study showed that women who masturbated regularly when they were younger, were more likely to be satisfied with their sex lives as adults when they got married.

3. There’s so many ways to do it.

Whether you prefer the new toys coming out all the time, or doing it the old fashion way, there’s something out there for everyone, regardless of their kinks or preferences. Go down to your local sex shop and see what peaks your interest. Here in Salisbury we have two, both within two miles of campus. Although, Red Light District does seem to have a greater variety of options.

4. It helps you sleep

Orgasms and sleep are two of the best things a person can experience in the world, so it makes sense that they would go together! Orgasms release not only sexual tension, but physical and emotional too. This deep relaxation can help with you falling asleep faster.

5. You can do it pretty much whenever.

Mind you, I’m not saying that it’s something you should be doing in class or in the park, but is definitely something you can do at pretty much any time throughout the day.

6. No Risks

You can’t pass a STI to yourself and don’t have to worry about things like condoms and lube (unless you want to)! The riskiest part of this is forgetting to lock your door before your roommate comes home.

7. Can Help With Your Period 

Some have found the uterine contractions that come from orgasms help with cramping during your menstrual cycle and that it helps shed menstrual blood faster.

8. Can Increase Your Self-Esteem

Getting to know your body and all the awesome things it can do without pressure from others is great for your mental health. Masturbating is a time where the world revolves around you and your pleasure, and having this time helps show yourself how freaking great you are.

9. Helps Blood Circulation

If you’ve ever masturbated or had an orgasm, you know how fast your heart and the rest of your body, can get racing. That would be the blood running down to your clitoris, vagina, and pelvic floor. All this blood movement can help keep your arteries and tissues well-functioning.

10. It Feels AMAZING!!!

Obviously, this is the best reason! During orgasms, your body releases the endorphins dopamine and oxytocin into your blood. Dopamine activates the reward center of the brain, that’s the place which also gets activated by things like food, caffeine, or drugs. You’ve got a natural hit of the good stuff waiting for you for free.  Now, go find your happy place, have that alone time, and see what all the fuss is about. You might just thank me later. Maybe in a couple of hours though. Might want to try it out more than once.

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”