Salisbury’s November Pick Of The Week: Dominic Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Name: Dominic Williams (@TheDom_Digity)

Age: 21

Major: Psychology major/Athletic Coaching minor

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Salisbury?

DW: My favorite thing about Salisbury is the size. It is small enough as to where I don’t feel lost, yet big enough as to where I feel like there are new people and new experiences to be had every day.

HC: What Orgs are you involved in here at SU?

DW: I am the President of the NAACP. As President, I serve as the main ambassador between students of our organization and administration, as well as helping organize and coordinate all activities of my organization. I am an active member of the community as a whole, being a general body member of the BSU, MOD, and WINK to name a few.

HC: You’re a great leader on campus and many people look up to you, does that put any pressure on you?

DW: It puts a lot of pressure on me. I love having the opportunity to represent people, and I try my best to make everyone proud. The main reason I am so passionate about everything I do is because if I don’t do a good job, I failed all of my friends, and I can’t stand letting people down. I just try to help everybody as much as I can in any way I can

HC: What do you hope to do with your major?

DW: I want to be a sports psychologist and counsel athletes, as well as be a counselor in minority communities. Eventually, once I am established, I want to open a rec center to get kids off of the street and do some public speaking.

HC:  How do you feel about the Trump/ Build the Wall markings on campus?

DW: At first, I was confused and angry. My first thoughts went back to two years ago when the NAACP chalked the campus overnight. We were stopped by officers and told we were wrong, and the chalk was washed away by 8 am. I was hoping this situation would be treated just as swiftly but I was wrong. Now, I am frustrated, looking for a way to remedy this, as it has disturbed myself and a lot of my peers. I fully understand the stance and actions of administration, but there is a lot that plays into this whole thing that I think needs to be explored and discussed further

HC: What can we do to stop the injustice on campus?

DW: One important thing is to educate. You must educate yourself and do the best to educate others. A lot of injustice comes from ignorance and we must do our part to enlighten those who need it. Another is to take the leap. A lot of people love to talk, but not many are taking any sort of constructive action towards fixing anything. They might be scared of failure, or be unsure of how to materialize their thoughts into actions. Either way, talking is only the first step to anything.

HC: What’s your ultimate goal for the month of November?

DW: Because Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner, my goal this month is to give back to the community in as many ways as possible in preparation for the holidays. People deserve to have a great holiday season no matter what, and I want to do my part in making that happen.

Naomi is a 21 year old senior at Salisbury University studying English and minoring in Professional Business Writing. Naomi loves everything about TV and Film and hopes to be the next Shonda Rhimes with hit television shows on a major network. She loves writing and creating stories but ultimately wants to be very prominent in the entertainment world.