Netflix Brings Awareness With New Show Atypical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Often time in mainstream media groups like minorities, the LGBTQ+ community, and those with mental illnesses are misrepresented, stereotyped, or completely ignored. Netflix tries and change that with its new show Atypical.

Actor Keir Gilchrist known for his other roles in It Follows, It’s Kind of a Funny Story, and United States of Tara stars as Sam Gardner, a teenager on the autism spectrum navigating life new to him love.

The show is described as a “heartfelt comedy “following Sam, a teenager on the autism spectrum, who has decided he is ready for romance. In order to start dating- and hopefully find love – Sam will need to be more independent, which also send his mother on her own life-changing path. She and the rest of Sam’s family, including a scrappy sister and a father seeking a better understanding of his son, must adjust to change and explore what it means to be ‘normal.’”

Accurate examples of autistic people in film has been limited but is slowly on the rise. Often time being on the autism spectrum is implied without being explicitly stated. Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory and Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. This week ABC is debuting The Good Doctor, a show about a young pediatric surgeon with autism and savant syndrome.

In addition to focusing on Sam, Atypical also focuses on Sam’s family, as well as his friend, his therapist, and -eventually- his girlfriend. Although Sam’s autism is the main theme behind the show, it also focuses on the other character’s lives and how they affect and are effected by others. Without giving away too many spoilers the show, this season focuses on bullying, cheating, sacrifice, and the value of family.

The problems that some have noted about the show is that at times the exposition is slow and riddled with “autism lectures.”

As someone who has watched the show I agree that it’s true but, at times it is necessary. This information in vital to viewers who know little about the autism spectrum, whereas this seems less necessary for people who are more familiar with autism. Others have felt that Sam is the stereotypical autistic person that is both rude and funny and in the things that he says. Very seldom do shows focus on the non-verbal spectrum of autism or on low-functioning individuals.

If you’d like to make your own opinion on the show, Atypical is still currently on Netflix. There are eight episodes in the season and each episode is around half an hour long. I for one highly recommend it with its good sense of humor and moving storyline. 

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.