The Important Health Reason You Might Want to Stop Using Bath Bombs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

For some time now bath bombs have been the trendiest self-care item. But experts are saying that the chemicals in bath bombs can mess up your lady parts.

Your vagina is home to about 10 to 20 types of bacteria according to OB/GYN Michael Cackovic.  In a healthy vagina the bacteria work together to maintain a PH balance between 4-4.5 and helps fight off infection.

When you expose your vagina to chemical like the ones in bath bombs your pH balance can be thrown off which can lead to itchiness and infection.  Granted, plenty of people soak in bath bombs and never have any problems. But the chemicals in bath bombs are guaranteed to come in contact with your vulva, but they won’t make their way inside of your vagina. Even if they do you may have different affects compared to everyone else.

If you are still going to use bath bombs make sure you look out for symptoms of infection (irritation weird odors, or even changes in discharge) and make sure to report these changes to your gynecologist.

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.