Galentine’s Day Special: Five Movies Every Female Friend Group Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Everyone knows that February 14th is Valentine’s Day. A day where couples spend the day together showering each other with gifts and planning a romantic day, or evening, out together.

But, what about the people who are still single? Should they feel lonely if they are not in a relationship during this time of the year? Or, should they find other people that mean the most to them to spend this day with?

If you haven’t seen the hit tv-show, Parks and Recreation (Parks and Rec for short) the main character of the show, Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler) creates a day called Galentine’s Day.

This fictional holiday takes place the day before Valentine’s Day and is meant to encourage female friends to take some time off their day to hang out doing whatever they enjoy doing.

Although this is an unofficial holiday, some women have made Galentine’s Day an actual day to celebrate their female friendships.

In honor of this unofficial holiday, I thought it would be good for us to look at five movies that I think every female friend group should watch during this day.

1. Girls Trip

Source

One of my favorite movies from 2017, this comedy-drama stars Regina Hall, Jada Pickett-Smith, Queen Latifah, and Tiffany Haddish as four best friends who haven’t seen each other in five years and decide to travel to New Orleans for a three-day Essence Festival event.

Like any comedy road trip movie, these four best friends run into a lot of crazy situations and drama that only close friends can handle with one another.

If you want a film that will make you fall on the floor with laughter and make you want to grab your group of friends to take a girl’s trip of your own, then this is the movie for you.

2. Bridesmaids

Source

This 2011 comedy-drama stars Kristen Wiig as Annie Walker and Maya Rudolph as Lillian. Two best friends whose lives get turn upside down when Lillian gets engaged and offers Annie to be her maid of honor.

Crazy antics and conflicts ensue as Annie tries to get along with Lillian’s other friends, mainly, Helen, played by Rose Byrne. Who seems well polished and perfect in the eyes of Annie.

If you haven’t seen this movie already, I suggest you grab your group of friends and a bag of popcorn for this one.

3. Sex and the City

Source

Based on the hit HBO tv-show of the same name, this movie stars the original cast of the show, Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie Bradshaw), Kim Cattrall (Samantha Jones), Kristin Davis (Charlotte Yorke), and Cynthia Nixon (Miranda Hobbes).

Reprising their roles as the four famous best friends, Carrie is getting married to the man of her dreams, Mr. Big. That is until he changes his mind about marriage the day of their wedding. Turning Carrie’s world upside down in the process.

This movie is a great feel good and funny film to watch with your gal pals whether you live in New York City or have a romantic partner yourselves.

4. The Cheetah Girls

Source​

Moving on to more a more family friendly film, The Cheetah Girls stars Raven-Symone, Adrienne Bailon, Kiely Williams, and Sabrina Bryan as four diverse friends who want to reach music stardom all-the-while trying to handle the struggles of adolescent hood.

This movie, along with other older Disney Channel Originals, was a part of my childhood. Looking back on this film a couple of years later, I am still singing along to every song and falling in love with the leading ladies all over again.

If you are into musical comedy-dramas and early 2000’s movies, this is the perfect movie for you.

5. Clueless

Source

This nineties cult-classic film stars Alicia Silverstone as Cher, a popular girl at Beverly Hills High School who ends up successfully matchmaking teachers but gives the new girl at her school a makeover only to have her become more popular than Cher.

I’ve only seen Clueless once but just watching it that one time made me realized why I enjoy watching older films more than recent ones. If you have haven’t seen this movie, I recommend you add it to your watchlist.

There are other great female friendship films out there that I could have put on this list or even mentioned. But, I want to know what do you guys think of these movies? Have you seen or heard of any of them? Do you plan on watching them?

Whatever, you decide to watch or do with your female friends, I hope you all have a great Galentine’s Day! -CK

Micaela Shirley is a junior at Salisbury University who is majoring in Communication Arts and minoring in English and Film. Her goal in life is to inspire and uplift readers and moviegoers with her stories.
Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.