This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

If you are looking for a way to spice up your morning breakfast routine, then this article may be for you!  Several studies have shown breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it fuels our bodies with nutrients to enter the day with maximum energy.

Lately, I have been following the smoothie recipe below for my breakfast and I have noticed a significant increase in my energy levels throughout the day. Hence, I thought it would be worthwhile to share with you! Smoothies are easily digestible and full of fiber so I do my best to incorporate at least one smoothie into my diet each day.

Morning Burst

Recipe:

*I use a Magic Nutri-bullet although any blender will suffice.

1. Chop one banana into coin shaped slices and put it in the blender.
  2. Add one cup of fresh spinach leaves (do not be afraid you will not be able to taste it, I promise).
  3. Add any berries you can! (I have been using frozen berries since it is still winter but if there are some berries in season, the fresher the better). One cup should be perfect.
  4. Add one citrus fruit of your choice (i.e. orange, lemon, lime, clementine). Citrus is a wonderful detox food that boosts energy levels.
  5. Add 2 table spoons of Chia seeds.
  6. Add one cup of any plant milk of your choice. I usually use soy or coconut milk. I suggest avoiding cow’s milk as it will make you feel bloated and heavy.
  7. Add half a cup of water.
  8. Add 2-5 ice cubes.
  9. Blend the contents together until the mixture reaches the consistency you desire.

Enjoy your smoothie! I recommend consuming your smoothie slowly and making a chewing motion with your jaw every few sips because this will alert your body to begin the digestion process.

Sources:

https://www.littlethings.com/make-ahead-smoothies/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NutriBullet-8-Piece-Magic-Bullet-Superfood-Nutrition-Extractor-Silver/46275747

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-carrot-juice/

Nicole is an Environmental Studies and Economics double major at Salisbury University who is passionate about animal rights. She strongly believes in the benefits of a minimalistic plant-based lifestyle. She is on a journey to self love and minimalism and is excited to share her progress and advice along the way. Finally, she is dedicated to yoga and running as forms of stress relief and confidence boosting. All her passions and lifestyle choices come back to her deeply rooted love for animals. Nicole believes showing compassion truly manifests itself in beautiful and positive ways in life. She is prepared to share with you the means of achieving a more meaningful, compassionate, and joyful life with her articles.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”