College: Expectation vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

When we envisioned our college experience in high school, most probably pictured a large campus with an infinite amount of food choices. I personally imagined my college experience to be similar to what I saw on TV.

Remember that Nickelodeon show featuring a young girl who enrolls at a boarding school called Pacific Coast Academy? If your nostalgic senses aren’t already tingling, let me offer a refresher. Zoey 101 followed the life of Zoey Brooks and her newfound friendships at the school. It featured a beautiful campus with great food and unique architecture.

Although PCA isn’t a university, I was convinced this is what my undergrad experience would be like. You can imagine the culture shock I felt once I began touring colleges. Not one university I toured looked like PCA.

The rooms and study spaces weren’t as colorful as I expected them to be and the students seemed less enthusiastic than the characters I saw on Nickelodeon. I can’t deny that I enjoyed my college experience, but it’s funny to look back at my naivety.

Expectation: 

A large dining hall with a food court set up featuring my favorite food restaurants. Subway, Sushi, Baskin Robins, Chinese, Papa Johns, you name it!

Reality: Every stand does offer some delicious food options, but there wasn’t a chain food restaurant in sight. The food can get a bit tiresome after a while, but that’s expected.

Expectation: 

Large dorm rooms with colorful furniture and walls. Zoey’s room set the bar pretty high for my expectations.

Reality: 

Wooden furniture and white walls. I understand everyone isn’t a fan of purple or pink paint but I was a bit disappointed to say the least.

Expectation:

A lounge with bright colors and furniture (I clearly love neon).

Reality:

This freshman lounge offered a comfortable place to hang with friends but it’s a little lacking in the decor department.

Expectation:

Reality:

Most of the parties I went to were so much fun though they definitely weren’t what I expected. A night out would often entail cramming into a hot, one-story home. On some occasions, people would just stand around and text on their phones.

Guys often stood against the walls like lions waiting to pounce on their pray. Once they find a suitor they’d grab her and expect a “dance.” It felt as though the police would shut down any function before it could get lit. Not every party was like this but a good amount of them were.

Expectation:

Cute boys galore. I didn’t expect my classmates to look like models but I anticipated on having at least one visually appealing guy in all of my classes.

Reality:

We’re in college to get an education, not to attract a potential love interest. So naturally, male and female students alike throw on the nearest outfit they can find and run out the door.

Still, there weren’t many suitors on my campus… or maybe I’m just very picky. I shouldn’t be complaining though. I’ve had my fair share of lazy days as well.

College may not be the way we imagine it but it can still be as exciting and enlightening as the media makes it out to be. It all comes down to the experiences we make throughout those four years. 

Graduation day will arrive sooner than you think, so make the most out of your college years!

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.