This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Being a college student doesn’t mean we should resort to eating ramen noodles and McDonalds every night. It’s true, one of the most difficult transitions to accept is trading in mom’s home-cooked meals for tiresome food choices in the dining hall.

Fortunately, some parents prepare their children for independence by passing on their cooking techniques. However, throughout my college years I’ve learned that many young adults still struggle to boil pasta (no shade intended).

Fear not! Thankfully we live in a world where almost any piece of information can be accessed on the Internet. This includes step-by-step recipes for even the most avid restaurant visitors. I’ll never claim to be the best chef but I know enough to survive on my cooking alone. When you think about it, that’s really all that matters.

Ingredients

• Pork chops
  • Red potatoes
  • Fresh broccoli
  • Minced garlic
  • All-purpose flour
  • Vegetable oil
  • Olive oil
  • Seasonings of your choice. I used: Salt, pepper, garlic salt, sazon, and red pepper flakes

1. Cut the broccoli and potatoes into bite sized pieces (do not peel potatoes)
  2. Heat often to 400 degrees and coat potatoes with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and two tablespoons of olive oil. Allow to cook on bottom oven rack for about 35 minutes or until tender
  3. Season pork chops on both sides and coat them with all-purpose flour. I was taught to free-hand so I rarely use measurements. Just remember it’s always better to under season than to over season.
  4. Fill large skillet with vegetable oil and heat over medium high heat. Add pork chops and fry for about 10 minutes or until a nice golden-brown color. Make sure the chops are turned halfway through.
  5. In a pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil per broccoli brunch and add the broccoli. Add salt, pepper and one or two spoons-full of minced garlic. Stir and cover. Allow to cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add a bit more olive oil if needed. Remove from heat.
  6. Serve and Enjoy

Check out this video to see how mine turned out! 

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”