This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

When the school year is coming to an end, one of the number one questions you ask yourself is, “Where do I want to live next year?” or maybe, “Do I want to renew my lease?” Here at Salisbury University, there are quite a few living communities to choose from. There are so many opinions that make coming to a final conclusion just a little more difficult.

Due to my never ending indecisiveness, I have lived in a couple different places and have spent a lot of time visiting friends in others that I have collected some information that I think will be useful and helpful in your quest to find the perfect place for you.

Like I mentioned before there are a lot of places to live here. The most popular options are Seagull Square, University Park, University Orchard, and University Village so those are the four I will be reviewing.

• University Park – I lived here for two years in the 4×2 apartment.

• Pro- Close to campus, less than 8-minute walk. So if you miss the shuttle it’s not too bad.

• Pro-The clubhouse has a nice study area and also unlimited fountain drinks.

• Pro-Recently upgraded to stainless steel appliances.

• Pro-Maintenance gets things done in a timely manner.

• Con-There room sizes differ drastically. Room A is literally double the size of Room B.

• Con-There is mold all over the bathroom walls and is usually covered up before new tenants move in, however, it starts to show up again within weeks.

• Extra Note: University Park has RA’s so that can be a pro or a con depending on who you are.

• University Orchard- I currently live here now.

• Pro- Beautiful apartments and community.

• Pro- Has a dog park for people with pets.

• Pro- If you follow their social media they have super awesome giveaways.

• Pro- They have 4×4 and 2×2 apartment styles so you get privacy.

• Con-Maintenance is pretty slow.

• Con-Once the hype ends you will notice you’re paying way too much.

• Con-If you aren’t a dog lover, these probs isn’t the place for you.

• Con- a lot of hidden fees. READ YOUR LEASE!

• Con- Roughly a 15-minute walk from campus.

• University Village – My sister lived here for 3 years and I visited her often.

• Pro- The cheapest option rent wise.

• Pro- Newly renovated so the apartments look very nice.

• Pro-All apartments are 4×4 so once again, you get privacy.

• Pro-The clubhouse has a mini theatre.

• Con- The furthest from campus.

• Con-The walk to or from campus is not the safest at night.

• Con-SU Students are not the only tenants.

• Seagull Square- I’ve had many friends who have lived here.

• Pro- Its on-campus, so that’s an obvious plus.

• Pro- Lots of study areas around the building.

• Con- The cost is included in the tuition, so you don’t get an option to break up the payments.

• Con-The rooms are relatively small.

• Con- The majority of the layouts are 4×2.

• Extra note: Seagull Square has RA’s.

These are some things I think are important to have in mind when trying to finalize you living arrangements for the next year. I hope this list gets you one step closer to making a decision.

Irene Senaya

Salisbury '20

n/a
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.