harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Deal With Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Studies have come out revealing that Millennials are America’s most stressed generation. From having to deal with exams, sports, and extracurricular activities students are finding themselves burnt out and stressed. The problem is that students have a lot of academic pressure and have not learned how to deal with it properly. If you are currently stressed out and feel burnt out and unable to move on there are so many different ways to combat that stress.

1. Take time for self-care

SLEEP. You have to give yourself time to cope with stress. That means eating healthy food, non-harmful substances, relaxing. Taking time to pause from a rigorous day and enjoy creative activities. For example, going to an event on campus or sitting outside and reading a book.

2. Learn to change your thinking

All stress stems from stressful thinking. When you begin to stress about not finishing your project on time or finishing your homework assignment on time, your mind starts to believe that will happen, and that can hinder you. When this begins to happen think of ways you can create time to work on that project or reading assignment.

3. Take assignments one step at a time

Divide your work into manageable portions that feels less overwhelming. For example, if you have an essay to write outline the essay first and write a small portion of the essay each day. This will allow things to feel more manageable and less anxiety inducing.

4. Connect to others

Talking things out and hanging out with friends, and family is the quickest way to deal with stress. They do not have to be able to fix your stress, just good listeners.

5. Stay balanced during exam periods

No matter how hard you push yourself, you cannot maintain constant focus and will burn out if you try. No brain can work for 24 hours. Take frequent breaks for fun so that you can come to your studying refreshed. Eat an apple or some fruit to keep your mind refreshed.

Hey guys! Bobbi Amar-Atsen is a graduate of Salisbury University with a Bachelors in Business Management and a concentration in Human Resources. When she is not binge watching Black Mirror or The Get Down she is reading a Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini (again) and taking long meaningful walks to her fridge. In her spare time she enjoys taking photographs of the beautiful people, and scenery around her. In the future she hopes to open up her own nonprofit organization in Ghana and work for a large company. She joined Her Campus Salisbury to gain more experience with writing, and connect with other empowering women.