5 Tips For Surviving The Mid-Semester Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

We’ve all been there. Midterms are coming up or already here, chasing us down like the T-Rex behind Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park. The weather is finally getting colder and the goals you made at the beginning of the semester are in your rear-view mirror. The mid-semester slump is officially here.

Luckily for us, there are plenty of ways to combat the slump and finish the second half of your semester on a positive note.

Source

1. Use Your Calendar

As someone who loves but struggles to use their calendar sometimes, this is something I definitely recommend! Personally, I’m the kind of person that gets overwhelmed when my calendar has too much on it, but planning out what’s coming up and what needs to be taken care of immediately can help in prioritizing where you need to start.

Source

2. Take Lots of Naps

Power naps should be your best friend right now. The weather is getting colder and your effort is seemingly non-existent. Naps are a great way to have a mini-reset part way through your day. This point in the semester can be hard and if it means taking a quick nap in order for you to do your work, I say go for it.

Source

3. Clean Everything

One of the easiest ways to get instant gratification is to clean your room. For me cleaning my room and putting clean sheets on my bed feels like I’ve hit the reset button. Cleaning everything from my desk, to my bed, to my laundry brings a peacefulness into my life.

My life may feel chaotic with all my clubs and classes but I know when I come home that everything is alright.

Source

4. Self-Care

Whatever self-care means to you is what you should be doing. For some people (like me) it means taking naps, but for you it might be listening to music or just spending a day with your friends relaxing.

This isn’t to say that you should be doing this constantly because you do want to get work done, but it can be helpful in getting you in the right state of mind to accomplish your goals.

Source

5. Reward Yourself

Whether your goal is to write that six paged paper you have due next week or to actually make it to your 8 a.m. class tomorrow morning, you should reward yourself for your accomplishments. It can be as simple as adding an extra twenty minutes to your power nap or as great as going out with your friends.

No matter what, your reward should still be prioritized behind your other work. It’s counterintuitive to reward yourself for accomplishing a goal only to set yourself back farther by making bad choices.

Source

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.