This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Loving yourself can be a difficult task especially in today’s generation. With social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter, comparing yourself to others has become the norm.

People are prone to loving others but are never satisfied with themselves or comfortable in their own skin. Self love should be the first priority before providing love to others.

Since February is the month of love, it is important to know that the most important person to shower with love is you. In no particular order, here are five songs that promote self love. Links to each song are in pink!

Source

1. “Survivor” – Destiny’s Child

This song spreads the message that although there are people who doubt you, you will survive whatever battles come your way. You believe in yourself and you believe that you will overcome life’s struggles and exceed people’s expectations.

2. “Only You Can be You” – Cymphonique

This song talks about how many people are eager to become someone they know they are not. It goes on to say that you should be happy with who you are even with all your scars.

3. “Epiphany” – Jin of BTS

This song is about coming to a realization that loving your true self is what really matters. You want to better yourself for you and not anyone else.

4. “Like Me” – Jake Miller

In this song, Jake Miller takes you through the life of a boy and his ability to stay true to himself while everyone around him was obsessed with fitting in.

5. “Pretty Girl Rock” – Keri Hilson

This song is about being comfortable and confident in your own skin. In the song, Hilson talks about how she knows that she is pretty and you should think that of yourself too.

Glory Ngwe

Salisbury '21

I am a Communication Arts-Multimedia Journalism track major with a minor in Business Administration at Salisbury University. I aspire to become an intelligent and creative leader in my field for the world I am growing up in.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.