10 Ways College Students Can De-Stress and Get Into the Fall Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

1. Attend your University’s football games

Photo courtesy of Salisbury University. 

Show your school spirit at the football games while they are in season. It is a great way to entertain your friends and make many more. Football games are also a great way to spend time with your family during homecoming weekends.

2. Go to a pumpkin patch

Source

Who doesn’t love hayrides, corn mazes, and delicious homemade baked goods? Pumpkin patches are a good way to get out of our dorm rooms, enjoy the fresh air and get to know the members of our community near campus.

3. Visit a local haunted house

What is the best way to experience the Halloween spirit? For those that are not too afraid, you can grab a group of your friends and see what you would actually do in those hypothetical horror movie situations.

Will you do the smart thing you said you would do while watching that horror movie or join the less-than-smart main character and split up from the group at the least optimal time?

4. Visit an Amusement Park

Many people think of the summer time and splash-parks when they hear amusement parks. On the contrary, amusement parks have great sales during the fall because they have haunted houses, dedicated staff in the Halloween spirit, and later hours.

Most fall or Halloween festivals at amusement parks start in September and run from Thursday to Sunday. This is a great way to enjoy a thrill in between studying and exams and celebrate with friends and family as well. Who knows, you might even end up making a spooky friend on a ride when the festival starts in the evening.

5. Decorate your dorm

Source

Ushering in the fall spirit through decoration is a great way to transition from summer. You can gather cheap decorations from your local dollar store and manage to not break your already-too-small budget. If you are really balling on a budget, you can get creative with arts and crafts and make your own decorations, which can be a good way to bond with your roommates and friends more.

6. Watch a Netflix/horror movie marathon

Photo courtesy of Netflix.

What is a better way to wind down than logging into your or your friend’s Netflix account and binge watching something? Whether it be horror movies or your favorite lighthearted show; watching Netflix is a good way to get out of the cold and de-stress from your classes.

7. Bake

Source

Your local Walmart’s cake mix should be no more than two dollars, so this idea definitely should not completely empty your wallets. Some dorm rooms may not have an oven or stove so be sure to check the common areas and with the RA of your dorm to make sure you have an oven available to you.

8. Have a potluck dinner

Source

This does not have to be a huge buffet but having a few snacks with some friends can definitely bring in the fall spirit and get you into a good spirit.

9. Build a bonfire

Source

Building a bonfire (with the proper precautions) can be a fun experience and keep you warm on those chilly nights. You can enjoy the fresh air and save some electricity from the stove in your dorm by roasting marshmallows, weenies, corn, etc.

10. Attend fall festivals

Source

College clubs are constantly throwing events and festivals for the campus community that you, as a student, are most likely paying for in your tuition. Why not take advantage of some events taking place on campus? Even if they are not fall related it is still good to go to school events in order to show school spirit and, most importantly, get free stuff!

Kenya McLean is a junior and a marketing major at Salisbury University. She plans to graduate in the class of 2020 and loves helping out her campus community.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.