This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Fall break is four days away. Midterms are happening. Papers are (sort of) getting written. Assignments are being turned in. And guess what? It doesn’t matter.

For the past two weeks I have heard, “I just can’t wait for x,y, and z to be over. I’m so ready for break.” more times than I can count. And don’t get me wrong, I’ve been saying it too. But today I had a moment.

I was still suffering from the Sunday-turned-Monday blues. I was looking at my to-do list and ironically accomplishing every task except the ones I actually had to do. (Thanks, Instagram!) I was feeling the stress that every college student puts on herself around this time of year. But today, driving to Martin’s with two of my best friends, laughing over the most bizarre conversation, I realized midterm week doesn’t have to be this miserable time that everyone cracks it up to be.

It’s just school. I know our parents and teachers and coaches have been telling us that school is SO important and we have to work hard, focus, and ultimately make the grade to make the tuition check worth it all. But to me, college, especially at a place like Saint Mary’s, is about so much more than life inside the classroom.

It’s buying kids’ bikes at a second hand retail shop and riding them around campus. It’s screenshotting that snapchat with one second left to spare. It’s living next door to your best friends and communicating by knocking on the shared wall, or screaming their names down the hall. It’s being pulled out of bed and away from Netflix at 10:30 to get up and go out. It’s sitting at your desk writing a HerCampus article instead of the three writing assignments due for your English major classes. It’s taking advantage of the little moments that make college some of “the best four years of your life.” So stop whatever it is you’re working on. Text the group chat. Laugh. Order Papa John’s. Make a memory. Because you only have four years to do it, and complaining about work isn’t a good story to tell your grandkids…

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries! 

Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's