samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The last few weeks of the semester are upon us, and that means the libraries are soon to be flooded and holiday-themed coffee cups full. Here’s a list of helpful tips so you don’t find yourself drowning in work come finals week.  

1.  If you haven’t learned how to time manage, now is the time to do it. If you haven’t done it, make a daily plan or to do list and cross off what you achieve throughout the day. Not only will you know how much progress you are making, but it will force you to think about what actually needs to get done. While this is a good motivation tool, don’t overwhelm yourself with a to do list that can’t realistically in one day. 

2.  If you have cumulative finals to prepare for, review old content on the weekends. By studying old materials on the weekend, you can use the weekdays to learn the new material on the exam. This will allow you to be well prepared for the exam and give you time to ask questions so you fully understand the material instead of cramming the night before.

3. If a class has been difficult for you, take some extra measures. Give more time to the subject every night or make use of the professor’s office hours so you don’t get further behind.

4.  Set aside time each day to study. Try to discipline yourself to spend time everyday to study for each class. This could be reviewing biology flashcards for thirty minutes or going to a practice room for thirty minutes to memorize your music final.

5. If things get too tough, give yourself time to stay healthy. Sleep, eat, and take time to clean your space. If needed, try booking a therapy appointment so you don’t become overwhelmed. 

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.