Following Through On Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The New Year is still fresh, and with it, our resolutions. Yet, every year we relive the same draining routine of sticking with this new promise for about three weeks and simply give up when achieving your desires seems all too bleak. For once I’d like to discover some true inspiration that will motivate me enough throughout the year– not the kind that pressures me to become Superwoman and never suffer through an occasional moment of weakness. If there’s one thing that’s stuck with me in committing to a resolution, it’s that slow and steady will always win the race.

You have 365 opportunities to better yourself and it’s so crucial to accept that this is not a two-week transformation. It’s a trial and error process. Focus more on the journey itself and take everything day by day. Avoid overwhelming yourself by being overworked into meeting all these outrageous goals crammed into such a short time frame. Learn to love this progress and the way you change through it.

That being said, it’s healthy to push yourself. Push yourself to a new level and face new obstacles head on. It’s perfectly okay to fall every once in a while, just don’t stay down for too long. Get back up and remind yourself of the capable and strong girl you were raised to be.

New Year, new you right? You’re killing two birds with one stone here– getting slimmer, studying harder, adventuring more (whatever your resolutions are) by channeling a new you who is ready to take on a whole lot more. Be that someone who leaves others speechless with your one-of-a-kind character. New chances to fail, learn, grow, reach, and achieve. The world is waiting for a greater you and what you can bring to the table. So bring it! 

Hi! I'm Reilly and I am a freshman at Saint Mary's College this year. When I'm not studying I enjoy watching Netflix with friends, read, draw, or practice with my photography skills!
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's