Campus + Community: Arts Café in South Bend’s Near Northwest Neighborhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The annual Arts Café event was held for the 15th year in South Bend’s Near Northwest Neighborhood this past Saturday. The event featured live music, food, art and craft vendors, and several family-friendly activities.

Horse-drawn hayrides were available for visitors to tour the neighborhood’s newly-renovated homes.  Habitat for Humanity opened the doors of their most recently completed project (participants including the power couple, Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter) to the public as well.

The Kids Zone featured crafts such wool felting and making fall decorations, as well as face-painting, corn hole, and other activities that helped little ones and grown-ups alike get into the spirit of fall! Through Saint Mary’s OCSE, students volunteered at the Kids Zone throughout the day.

The Local Cup, a unique pay-it-forward coffee shop, was also open during the event.

This event was a great way to kick off autumn and bring residents of the South Bend community together, whether from the Near Northwest Neighborhood or a college campus.

For more about the Near Northwest Neighborhood and how you can get involved, click here. NNN is looking for sponsors for next year’s event! Also, make sure to check with Saint Mary’s OCSE for other upcoming opportunities in the South Bend community!

More photos from Arts Café are below:

Caroline Dahl

Saint Mary's '22

Caroline is a first-year social work major at Saint Mary’s College. Through HerCampus, she hopes to promote engagement and dialogue between college students and communities!