5 Shows to Netflix Marathon This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

As summer begins, most of us will fall back into the habit of sleeping in, working, or soaking up the sun. For those of you out there looking for something to do with your excess time, why not indulge in some Netflix marathons with friends (or yourself)? 

1) The Office

The Office is a classic. Full of laughs and heartwarming moments, this show will have you absolutely addicted once you start season 1. Michael Scott, the awkward and inappropriate regional manager of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company, keeps a hilarious work environment in what would be a boring office job for most. You get to watch relationships flourish, fun pranks be performed, and awkward situations unfold. I guarantee you will be laughing out loud in every episode. 

2) Parks and Recreation

Parks and Rec is a great transition from The Office. While you’re in mourning over the end of Michael Scott, Jim Halpert, and friends, Leslie Knope and company will cheer you right up. The show takes place in the Parks and Rec department of Pawnee, Indiana, and follows Leslie, an ambitious and enthusiastic government employee. In a similar documentary style filming, Parks and Rec comes from many of the same writers and creators as The Office. With similar humor and friendships, the show will keep you hooked until the end. 

3) The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This new original Netflix series is another great comedy. Starring Ellie Kemper of The Office, the show follows Kimmy Schmidt, a young woman who escapes from an underground apocalyptic cult. She ends up living in New York, and hilarity ensues when we find just how little she knows about modern society. With the heart and mind of a child, Kimmy endures new life lessons with her new friends. It’s a very cute and heart-warming comedy.

4) Pretty Little Liars

If you’re on the hunt for something a bit spookier than the comedies above, look no further than Pretty Little Liars, a show adapted from a book series. For many seasons this show has kept fans in suspense and fear, while also including the everyday drama of four high school girls. The show opens a year after Alison went missing. She was the best friend of Aria, Hanna, Emily, and Spencer, and after she disappeared the girls slowly drifted apart. They are brought back together when they all begin receiving cryptic text messages and threats from someone who goes by “A.” This show will keep you guessing and will make you use your brain more than any math class ever will.

5) The Vampire Diaries

If you want spooky meets fantasy, look into The Vampire Diaries. This show, also adapted from a book series, follows Elena Gilbert, a seemingly normal teenage girl whose parents recently died in a car accident. Cue the entry of mysterious new guy, Stefan Salvatore. His inhuman beauty and odd tendencies cause Elena to become infatuated with him, and learn a secret that will change her life and everyone around her forever (SPOILER ALERT: He’s a vampire ;)). 

So which shows will you be working on this summer, Belles? Unleash the stress of finals and have a relaxing summer!

Cover photo, GIF 1, Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, GIF 2, GIF 3 

Brey Clark

Saint Mary's

Big on comedies, fashion, shopping, and HerCampus :)
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!