A Tale of Two Cities: 2 Collegiettes Go On a Quest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

HerCampus writers Dania El-Ghazal and Annie Tressler recently went on a mission to survey collegiettes around the University of Scranton and New York University to hear what they really have to say about school, pop culture, and yes…Beyonce. They went on an epic cross-campus quest to uncover these ever elusive questions. Here is your chance to find out just how similar these two seemingly different Universities are! How much do your fellow students know about each others’ universities? Come take a look at their hilarious results and comment below!

Investigators:
Dania El-Ghazal:
Age: 18School: University of ScrantonMajor: CommunicationFavorite Part of Writing for HerCampus: Being able to use GIFS, duh?

(That’s James Franco right there, people)

Age: 19 School: New York University Major: Undecided (Fundecided) Favorite Part of Writing for HerCampus: I love reading all the articles, especially other schools. I kind of creep around all the different colleges pages and think it’s amazing to see such a vibrant and interconnected national community.

Scranton? Francesca, 18, The U: St. Patrick’s Day Mackenzie, 18, The U: RainDerick, 19, The U: PrepMegan, 22, The U: DrinkingChris, 19, The U: Parade Day

Moriah, 18, NYU, Major: Drama: “The Office?”

(This is going to sound sacrilegious, but I have never watched The Office. I’m sorry, I feel like a failure.)- Annie

New York?Paige, 18, The U: PizzaFrancesca, 18, The U: HomeMackenzie,18, The U:  Busses, pollutionDerick, 19, The U: Empire stateMegan, 22, The U: City that never sleepsKrista, 19, The U: Famous peopleMija, 20, NYU, Major- Finance: “Lively, vibrant. The food sucks.”(I don’t know if I agree on that point. There’s DOLLAR pizza.- Annie)
University of Scranton?Mackenzie, 18, The U: HillsFrancesca, 18, The U: Friendly people Chris, 19, The U: Royals!Krista, 19, The U: Taylor, Clay, Vine, North Web, CKsJennie, 18, NYU, Major- Journalism: “It’s the town The Office takes place in, and they have a good volleyball team I think.”(I can attest The Office took place there, and wow, I did not know they had a volleyball team. But apparently they are quite famous?? Go Royals!!!!- Annie)

New York University?Francesca, 18, The U: Smart people, The Sprouse twins~Paige, 18, The U: Nate Archibald, right?Mackenzie, 18, The U: Expensive, subwaysDerick, 19, The U: Celebs go thereKrista, 19, The U: Blair went there, but didn’t like it so she transferred(gossip girl reference)Audrey, 19, NYU, Major-Public Relations: New York University is a fun and diverse place! Definitely not your typical college experience. (Only chose the school based on the Sprouse brothers. I saw one of them (could not tell which of the two) and it validated everything. -Annie)

School work?Paige, 18, The U: Human Anatomy, Physiology, Bio (typical OT major)Mackenzie, 18, The U:  Jesuit education, Spanish homeworkChris, 19, The U: Time consumingKrista, 19, The U: Stress, deadSam, 18, NYU, Major- Communicative Sciences and Disorders: Takes up all my time. Sucks up my soul through my eyes. I just leave a little piece of my heart when I return textbooks from Amazon.(College would be just the most amazing place if there wasn’t any school work!!! Am I right ladies??-Annie)

The Library? Francesca, 18, The U: 24 hour processPaige, 18, The U: Silence on the 5th floorDerick, 19, The U: I should probably goChris, 19, The U: Hate itKrista, 19, The U: Peaceful and productiveEvan, 19, The U: NoBella, Age 18, NYU, Major- Economics: “I’m all for the architectural revolution that Bobst was going for, it looks very majestic, very powerful, very menacing. But, for being a library, where the primary function is supposed to be, i don’t know, housing books, having people study there, it does seem to kinda push the books to the side of the building, and there’s not a whole lot of space to study with that big open space. So, I think in general, Bobst kinda fails, for as beautiful as it is.” (There are many untold rules that a student must abide to when studying in Bobst. #1. Don’t look at anyone. #2. Do NOT eat anything or else prepared to get a nasty stare down. #2:We are ALL scrolling through FaceBook right now, so DON’T give me that dirty side glance. #3. Breathe loudly, sneeze, or cough… get hit.- Annie)

Tinder? Francesca, 18, The U: Stranger dangerPaige, 18, The U: CatfishMackenzie, 18, The U: Swipe left or right, what does that mean?Derick, 18, The U: For losersMegan, 22, The U: Online datingKrista, 19, The U: NoChris, 19, The U: Don’t have one(Jeeze, Scranton, lighten up, Tinder is cool)Molly, Age 18, NYU, Major- Pre-Med/Psych: “After I came back to school, I re-downloaded Tinder for all of about twenty minutes because within that period of time I swiped right on a handful of guys, and I matched with two of them…and one of the (messages) was “Can I be like Nemo and touch the butt?…” And I was like, “Please, I’m sorry gotta go again!” (I say If you’re having trouble finding your Cinderella, go out there and get your Tinderella. -Annie)Nightlife? Francesca, 18, The U: Hill section, slipping on iceMackenzie, 18, The U: Hills, basements, Scranton police Derick, 19, The U: Good FellasEvan, 19, The U: The only lifeAngel, 19, NYU, Major-Liberal Studies/Psychology: “The nightlife in NYC is definitely great. Even for underaged kids, there’s still so many fun options for things to do at night.”(Affording this “nightlife lifestyle” is difficult. I’m lucky if I can scrounge up four quarters for dollar pizza.- Annie)

Dining Hall Food?Paige, 18, The U: I love sitting there for hours talkingDerick, 19, The U: a1Megan, 22, The U: GrossChris, 19, The U: StandardKrista, 19, The U: Hit or miss, but chicken nuggetsEvan, 19, The U: Are we talkin’ third floor?Leanne, 19, NYU, Major- Music Track/Music Therapy: When I first got to NYU, I thought the dining hall food was amazing. I maintained that opinion until the first time I visited home when I learned my mom had taken up cooking when I moved out. Now I’d say NYU Dining gets a 6 on the 1-10 scale, 1 being “I literally need take out food every day” and 10 being my mom’s new mac & cheese recipe.” (NYU dining is a dime piece. 10/10- Annie)

Coffee? Francesca, 18, The U: STARBUCKSMackenzie, 18, The U: DUNKIN Derick, 19, The U: Legal crackKrista,19, The U: Iced teaJulia, 19, NYU, Major- Media, Culture, Communications: “Suddenly developed a random and HUGE caffeine dependency.”(I’m currently dating coffee.-Annie)

8 ams?Francesca, 18, The U: I cannot wake up earlier than 10Mackenzie, 18, The U: How about 10 ams?Megan, 22, The U: DreadfulChris,19, The U: WorstKrista, 19, The U: Never had one, never will.Sangel, 19, NYU, Major- Biology: “I hate them. They are horrible. They are the worst thing.”(The unholiest things ever. Just not right.-Annie)

And finally… Beyonce? Francesca, 18, The U: Queen, will you adopt me?Paige, 18, The U: QueenMackenzie, 18, The U: You’re a mom, get off the surfboard.Derick, 19, The U: OverratedMegan, 22, The U: Queen BChris, 19, The U: BeautifulKrista, 19, The U: OverratedHaruka, 19, NYU, Major: Undecided: Beyonce is queen. That is all. (Bow down, bitches- Annie)

There you have it ladies! Hope you enjoyed this tale of two cities, and all the wonderful ladies in them. As you can see, our quest was a success! Who says New York and Scranton are completely different? (insert half smile emoji here). So whether you are aspiring to live in the big city, or looking for a small town vibe, we are positive that one of these two cities will be your best bet!

Picture courtesy of Dania El-Ghazal, taken of Dania and Annie in New York City, 2013

Xoxo,Her Campus Girls(not the Gossip ones)

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_