Career

How to Juggle School, Work, and Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SAIC chapter.

There was a point this year when I was working thirty-five hours a week, taking classes full time and managing “Her Campus” as a single CC! I’d say “I don’t know how I did it,” but luckily, I do, and I can share it with you! To say it wasn’t hard to juggle everything would be a lie, but I found myself being surprisingly less stressed than I thought and actually having time to hang out with my friends. 

It is important to note that I really like my job so it wasn’t emotionally exhausting, but nonetheless here are some tips on going to school while getting that schmoney. 

1. Find a job that you enjoy

This is probably the most important tip of all. We often feel like we have to be “stuck” in a job, or at least that’s how I felt in my first restaurant job. But after I made some savings and quit that job to find a new one within the same industry (as a hostess), I realized if I had done that sooner I would’ve been so much less stressed. 

Due to class, gender, ethnicity and more factors, it’s a privilege to be able to choose where you work. But if you’re a student and have some freedom within which job you choose, always put yourself first. If your work environment is stressing you out, it might be time to find a different job. You can try applying for a different position within the place you already work at, finding an on-campus job or saving some money and finding a new workplace. There are always more options than you’d think. 

1. Lists for dayzzzz

I probably make or update four lists a day at minimum. I have one that is my budget, which is how much I have in my bank account, my major expenditures and how much I expect to have by the end of the month. Then, I have one list for all the homework I need to get done and their deadlines. 

Lists just help me organize everything in my head. Should I pick up an extra shift at work? I check my lists and say “okay, we’re on budget for this month, but I have a twelve-page final due next week.” The answer is no I will not pick up that shift, I’ll spend the day writing my paper so on the weekend I can go out with my friends. It all falls into place like that! 

Honestly, it also helps me see how much I can actually put off assignments so I can still maintain my social life but have time to do my homework well. 

1. iCal

I don’t know about Google Cal or the other apps people use, but iCal is a godsend. I make three different calendars in “settings,” one for my personal things, one for school, and one for work. On Sundays I put in my work schedule for the week, my class schedule and any events I want to go to in my free time. This helps a lot because you can see how much time you have to chill, what days you can go out late, and what days you need to save to do homework or run errands. 

1. Choose people over capitalism

I had a professor this semester tell us that she makes a deliberate effort to choose her social obligations over her work ones, because “if you cancel on beers with your friends to stay in and file paperwork, you’re choosing capitalism over real-life people”. I thought this was a terrifying idea so I also try to do the same. Within this of course have some boundaries because 1) School is a different type of labor so choosing your friends over doing your homework does NOT count and 2) Staying out late all the time isn’t great for your mental health or wallet and 3) We gotta make that bread, we can’t neglect getting in some extra hours. 

Nonetheless, if you have the energy after work hit up your friends to hang out! Or facetime your mom. Balance out working with interactions with the real people in your life, so it doesn’t feel like choosing one over the other.

1. Putting yourself first

Having all of these obligations really helped me put myself first. I actually needed to for the first time, to maintain my mental health and sanity as well as keep up with all my other obligations. If your body is tired and you need to go rest instead of going to that cool party, so be it. You have many things going on, your friends will (or should) respect that you need some time. 

Also, not downplaying the extent of work you’re doing can help others understand your situation. When I first started working, I had the idea that I was being “noble” by not complaining or expressing to my teachers the amount of work I was doing. When I fell behind one week, I explained to them everything I was doing and they just wished I had told them earlier. Sometimes we need an extra day to finish an assignment, and especially as a working student your professors need to understand that. 

Anyways, those are my tips and I’m proud of you! Go get it! 

Writer, student of Visual and Critical Studies, artist in various mediums. Representing (and missing) Ecuador from Chicago. Believes in feminism, social activism and taking care of our planet.