Wellness > Mental Health

What To Do When You’re Going ~Through It~

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

I’m not sure if it’s seasonal depression, midterms week, or the college plague but everyone I know is absolutely going through it. This week has felt like an eternity, and my brain is stretched to the breaking point. With the weekend coming up, it’s time for me to focus on my mental health before I reach full burnout, so here’s five tips for when you need a break. 

Cry 

I love being an independent girlboss as much as the next woman, but sometimes all you need is a good cry. After I’ve bawled my eyes out to the point that I’ve run through an entire box of tissues (true story), I always find my problems seem a little less intimidating. There’s something therapeutic about feeling the overwhelming panic dissipating with the tears and returning to your day with a newfound sense of calm.

Re-Energize 

It doesn’t matter your preferred method of recharging but taking a minute to relax and refocus can do wonders to help any anxious thoughts you may have swirling around in your head. My roommates are nap people; I’m more likely to find them snoozing than doing work in the afternoons. I, on the other hand, like to eat lunch or take a walk outside. The combination of the sun, the breeze, the chirps of birds or the flutter of a butterfly’s wings helps me to breathe and step out of my mind for a minute. 

Talk To Friends 

If you’re a social butterfly, like me, simply being around people can have an amazing boost on my mood. Whether it’s ranting about classes, venting about boy problems, or simply co-existing in the same space, the presence of people who love and support me helps to center me and ground my mind. 

Take Some Alone Time

Time to yourself does not mean you’re isolated or lonely, it can be as regenerative as a good night’s sleep. Especially in college, where personal time and private space can be hard to come by, a few hours with only your thoughts can be a rare break from the hustle and bustle of everyday activities. 

Make Some Good Food 

I am a self-proclaimed foodie at heart; baking is genuinely my therapy. Whether it’s chocolate covered oreo truffles or white chocolate chip snickerdoodle cookies, making a good meal or a sweet dessert is rewarding in so many ways. Baking is a process, adding one ingredient to another until little by little you’ve created a beautiful (and edible) final product. I find it easy to loose myself in the repetition of making cookie dough and when I’ve come out of my sugar induced trance, the stress I was feeling seems like a distant memory.

Erin Dunn

Sacred Heart '25

Hi guys! I'm Erin Dunn from South Windsor, Connecticut and I'm a Communications major at Sacred Heart University. I love baking and using writing to express myself and I'm so excited to be apart of Her Campus!