What I Wish I Knew as a Second Semester HS Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The second semester of senior year in high school has its perks. You feel like you are on top of the world and everything you ever wanted is all coming true. This is also such a complicated time in life because in just a few short months, everything you once knew will drastically change. But do not worry! Some of the best moments of your life are ahead of you, so just sit back and enjoy the ride. Had I been able to tell my second semester senior-self what I know now as a second semester college freshman, these are the few of the things I would say.

Enjoy every moment of your present life. Go to every event possible and take it all in. The last football game, the school play, movie nights in your friend’s basement and just aimlessly driving around until 2 am while jamming out to your favorite songs with your bestie. Being away at college and not having the luxury of a car since you are a freshman is something you will strangely miss. Do not wish time away because whether you like it or not, it will pass you by. Take in all the home cooked meals you can. Even if it is something you do not want to eat. Just being surrounded by your family at the dinner table is something you will soon long for.

Do not sweat the small stuff. In the end, it honestly just does not matter. Who cares if someone took your parking spot or if you did not get the invite to lunch. It honestly takes so much more energy to be mad and unhappy than to just let things go. As you grow older, you will realize all the stupid high school drama really is just stupid high school drama. A year from now, something that makes you feel like it is the end of the world will be absolutely forgotten. 

Do your work. Let’s face it, the second semester of senior year is a joke. The work is limited and you are basically just mentally checked out. But please keep your brain charged. It may seem like fun and games now but when September comes and you have not written a paper since January of senior year, you are going to wish you had more work. Read a book, work on puzzles or attempt to learn a new language. Literally anything to keep your brain active will be beneficial and help in the long run for the coming year.  

Lastly, get excited! It is okay and completely normally to be nervous, excited and confused all at once. You may feel like college is so far away but it is much closer than you think. Leaving your small hometown is a frightening thought but it will no doubt be such an amazing experience. You will become so close with people so fast and they will soon be like your second family. The bond you will have with your college friends is like no other. You will grow so much as a person in just a year and be so proud of yourself for the changes you personally made. It sounds cliché but college will help you learn more about yourself than you ever thought you could. In the next few months, you will already have some amazing new memories, so celebrate yourself and become eager for what your life is about to turn into soon. As a second semester college freshman, you will probably wish you took on this attitude.

Mackenzie Maher

Sacred Heart

Mackenzie Maher is a freshman Communications/Media Arts major at Sacred Heart University. She is a member of Chi Omega sorority and is so excited to be apart of the Her Campus team at SHU! She loves fashion, writing and capturing the perfect moment with an artsy Instagram story. A cute outfit and a smile is the recipe for a great day!
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.