This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Mental health issues are different in all people. Some may struggle with anxiety, OCD or any other kind of disorder. These issues can begin to present themselves in relationships, especially if you have been with someone else for a long time. Here are some tips to consider when your partner is struggling with their mental health.

Being Able To Listen

When your partner is coming to you with an issue, you may want to consider asking them, “Would you like advice, or would you like me to listen?” In my own experience, I have found that this is very useful. Doing this avoids yourself or your partner becoming overwhelmed, and sets an expectation and understanding of what their needs are and if they only needed to rant to you. Offering a listening ear can be extremely comforting to a partner that is currently in distress.

Do not be afraid to suggest therapy

Your partner may have a mental health issue that is beyond your capacity to help. Of course, this is normal as you are more than likely not a licensed therapist yourself. If your partner is struggling to a point where you feel they may need help, you should feel comfortable enough to make the suggestion to them. The stigma of getting help for your mental health is fading, and it is becoming more important than ever to receive help. Supporting your partner as they seek out the support of a professional is one of the most important and caring things you can do for them.

Taking care of yourself

Regardless of how much you love and care for your partner, it is still immensely important to take care of yourself and your own mental health. Being in a healthy state of mind is important for you as well as your partner. Always remember that it is okay to take some time for yourself and treat yourself with the love and care you deserve. Self-care nights are one of many great ways to gather your thoughts and work towards maintaining a healthy mindset. You cannot expect to help anyone if you are not feeling up to it. Your health should be your priority, helping your partner comes next!

Rhiannon Ortiz

Sacred Heart '24

art major that loves to write
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)