nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Six Essentials for Creating your Intern Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

When I first received an offer for an internship at a luxury fashion brand, my excitement suddenly turned into thoughts of “Oh no. WHAT am I going to wear?!”. For many of us, internships are our first steps into the professional world, and our wardrobes that are reflective of 8am classes and bar crawls don’t always suffice for a professional environment. Below are six young and fun but office-ready pieces I used these semester to create my intern wardrobe. ALSO, because we are all balling on an intern budget, all pieces are available on Nordstrom’s site for below $50!

1. Midi (or Maxi) skirt

Midi skirts are one of my favorite pieces to wear to my internship. These are simple and low effort but deliver chic results. I typically pair midi skirts with a simple top such as a plain white tee, so I can really let the skirt be the statement piece that day. My favorite is a good go-to satin skirt to add texture to your outfit!

2. Plain. White. Tees.

I can’t stress this one enough. In fact, plain white tees might as well be the unsung hero of your intern wardrobe. They provide a clean and practical look for you to style around, and they are interchangeable in any outfit. Pair your white tee with the maxi skirt I mentioned above, wear it under a casual blazer or simply tucked into some black business slacks. Regardless of what you pair them with you’re going to need these babies to achieve a clean and sleek look while you’re on the job.

3. Simple black pants

These are a lifesaver and can serve as the base for almost any intern outfit. Whether you pair it with a plain white tee and heels, or a simple button down or sweater, these are a classic business casual staple you can always rely on.

4. Timeless and practical heels

Yes, heels! Wearing heels has not only helped me to look more professional in the office, it puts me in a bossy state of mind and motivates me to conquer the day. It is important to find a pair of heels that makes you feel bossy, but doesn’t hurt you by the end of the day. I chose a pair of pointed, closed toe heels because I feel that closed toed is most appropriate for the office (and the pointier the better, in my mind). These simple, low heels are a great way to say you mean business while staying comfortable.

5. A casual blazer

A casual blazer is the easiest way to elegant an outfit that would have otherwise been a casual jeans-and-t-shirt ensemble. I chose a simple black blazer because it is one of the most versatile pieces you could ask for. A casual blazer is a great way to look professional, but still feel comfortable in all day long!

6. A turtle neck

Cousin to the white shirt, a solid turtle neck is a simple and clean item to pair interchangeably with all of articles lifted above. Turtlenecks are a go to office appropriate staple that pairs with just about anything. They also triumph t shirts when trying to stay warm in the cold weather. One of my favorite looks in the office is pairing a pair of plain black business casual pants with a turtle neck that packs a bright pop of color, this look is playful and fun while remaining clean and chic for the office!

Shannon Sweeney

Sacred Heart

Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!