This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Happy New Year! After a year like 2020, I have never been more relieved to hear those three words. However, I haven’t always felt this way about New Years. As a kid (and still to this day), New Years has been my least favorite holiday. I have always overwhelmed and put pressure on myself at the thought of making each new year, my year. I would try to set “resolutions” for myself that were unrealistic and unimportant. The intention I had to make my year a “good” one was great, but the way I executed it was never truly that great. However, this year is different. I feel like I’ve learned a lot in the past year, months, and weeks. And although I still have ways to go in my future endeavors, I’ve recognized that we don’t need to change ourselves in order to become a better version of ourselves. I know, shocking, right? So, here is a compiled list of how to stay true to yourself in the new year, while still becoming that highest version of yourself.

Leave the expectations in 2020

Go into every situation with an open mind. Don’t get too far ahead of yourself, and be present in every moment. When we set expectations for ourselves it leaves room for us to let ourselves down. Obviously set boundaries for yourself, but don’t go through life wondering about the “what if?’s”.

Don’t Compare

This is a huge lesson I have learned recently. It’s so easy to compare ourselves to others these days. In a world where our perceptions of ourselves and others around us are (at times) based on a social media account, it’s easy to lose touch of our own power. But I am here to tell you that no one’s life is as perfect as their instagram highlights. It is called “highlights” for a reason and not “lowlights”. Remember that we all choose what we want to share with the world, and that sometimes results in a lack of authenticity.

Listen to yourself

Knowing how to stay in tune with yourself is a superpower, seriously! When you need to let it out, move your body, release those endorphins. When you need to calm down, lie down, and put on your favorite Netflix series. When you need a pick me up, drive through that drive-thru, and treat yourself to the large iced coffee. Our bodies are constantly sending us signs of what we need, make sure you’re listening.

Stay Grounded

How can we ever feel fulfilled if we are constantly thinking about what we want? We can’t. In the midst of working for what you want, don’t lose track of what you already have. Recognize each day what you are grateful for, write it down, and make a habit out of this.

Authenticity is power

Up until now I always thought perfection was the goal. I cringe when I think of that now. “Real is never perfect, and perfect is never real” , so strive for authenticity over perfection. It will get you much further, and bring you much more happiness.

Don’t just exist, LIVE

This is something I need to do more of too. Sometimes I find myself just going through the motions and existing, but not really living. My intention for this year is to live a little. Don’t be so uptight with yourself, we only have one life in this body, so take every day for what it is and make the most of it! It sounds cliche, but it will make life worth living!

That concludes some of my tips/mantras for 2021. Leave what has happened in the past, and move on to a fresh start. Remember that just because it is a new year does not mean that it is a new you. You can stay true to yourself while still evolving, I am rooting for you, you got this!

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)