With Love For Our KD: A Tribute To The Beautiful Kaitlyn Doorhy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

When we are young, it is easy to think we are invincible. At twenty years old, we have so much to look forward to: a degree, landing our dream job, our twenty-first birthday…the list goes on. These milestones are expected. We are “supposed” to be excited about these things. In this sense, we may feel prepared…but we are never prepared for the unexpected. Being twenty years old and a junior in college, I, too, thought I was prepared for it all until the tragic death of my classmate, my sister, Kaitlyn Doorhy. Kaitlyn Doorhy was taken from us Friday, August 22, just days before the start of her junior year at Sacred Heart University. It is in moments like these that we learn we cannot take anything or anyone for granted. Our time on this world is limited– it is sacred–which is why I want to use this time not to dwell on the incident that impacted the hearts of so many, but to highlight the happiness Kait brought into our lives before she left.    

Growing up, Kait participated in community service projects, athletics, and loved music. In her hometown, Kait was crowned, “Strawberry Queen,” a scholarship award given to one individual on behalf of his or her academic achievements and community involvement. Kait Doorhy was kind-hearted, selfless, loyal, stylish, funny, and ambitious. She wanted to be a divorce attorney. No, not your average dull, gray pantsuit type of attorney. We’re talking Elle Woods from, Legally Blonde, type of attorney. She could be easily spotted around campus behind the wheel of her white Dodge Charger…license plate reading: “L Blonde.” Kait was a loving daughter, sister, friend, classmate, and Kappa Delta. However, it is evident here on campus that you did not have to know Kait to feel emotionally impacted. 

Kait was a member of the Kappa Delta Sorority. Above, she poses with her pledge class and the Kappa Delta sign. 

This powerful photo was taken during a Kappa Delta sisterhood, just moments before Kait passed away.

Below are the touching quotes I received from Kait’s close friends and Kappa Delta Sorority sisters: 

“Just the night before her accident, we were laying in her bed talking. She said she wanted to go to Columbia Law School and live in [New York] city. I didn’t have a doubt in my mind that she would do it. When she had goals, she accomplished them without difficulty. I knew she would be the best divorce lawyer.” – Christine O’Brien (roommate and sorority sister)

“I admired her so much–her ability to work three jobs and never complain, her style, her ability to light up a room, her musical talents, and her stunning car. She had it all together and she knew what she wanted and how to get it. I was lucky to know her and blessed to call her my friend.” – Katie Morovich (roommate)

“Kait was not only a bright girl, but she was also extremely intelligent. When she spoke about something, you could tell she actually knew what she was saying–the way her eyes lit up and the enthusiasm in her voice. No matter what the topic of conversation was, whether it was about law or highlighting hair, Kait was always fun to listen to. She spoke her mind.” –Ashley Lanza (sorority sister/big)

“Kait was always there for me through any situation. She was a great listener. Being my roommate, she would stay up late with me just to talk about life. We all know Kait loved sleep, but she would stay up to talk to me whenever I needed her.”-Christine O’Brien

“No one will ever replace her in my heart as a friend, a sister, a little, a Kappa Delta. She will forever glow as she watches down on us and her beauty will continue to shine. Heaven gained an angel and we gained a guardian angel.” – Ashley Lanza

Kait and her four roommates. (From left: Christine, Kait, Jessica, Katie, and Katelyn).

Kait and her sorority big, Ashley.

Kait and Christine, her roommate and sorority sister.

Kait Doorhy was a very inspiring person–someone we should all aspire to be. She was a natural born leader and amazing friend who believed in loyalty and honesty. She will be forever missed. She is and always will embody a true Kappa Delta— Classy and Fabulous! 

The shirts (obviously pink) read, “With Love for K.D.” 

Kaitlyn Doorhy’s Memorial Mass was held today, Wednesday September 10, 2014.

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.