This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Typically, I have to strategically plan how to tell people that I compete in pageants. I mentally have to prepare myself for the shock and confusion on their faces, and the flood of questions that come afterward. It has gotten to the point where I immediate follow “I compete in pageants” with “but it’s nothing like Toddlers & Tiaras, I swear.” The stigma surrounding pageantry is actually very inaccurate and very disheartening to every girl that finds love and friendship within pageantry; I am one of those people.

In high school, I was a three sport athlete. The most makeup I wear on a regular day is mascara, and my main wardrobe consists of athletic wear, sweatshirts and Levi’s; so most people do not recognize me when they look on my dorm room wall to see a picture of me in a full length ball gown, a full face of make-up, a sparkling crown atop a huge head of curls with a sash draped across me. One of the most common reactions is “Wait, do you still play sports?” or “but you’re so nice.” Most people consider girls and women in pageants to be self-centered, materialistic, petty and mean. However, some of the kindest, most genuine and, yes, even smartest people I have met, have been through pageantry.

I began competing in pageants when I was 13. I had very low confidence levels and my mother was constantly seeking new ways to raise my self-esteem. My older sister competed in pageants when we were younger, so after she stopped, my mother thought it would be good for me to try one. And so I did. I was very hesitant at first, not because I myself didn’t want to do it, but because I was afraid of what other people would think. I was known as the athletic girl that didn’t care what she wore to school. I was the opposite of girly, and to see me in a dress was a miracle. However, I had been growing to like dresses and makeup, so a pageant seemed like an entire leap of faith into the world of “girl.”

I came out of that pageant weekend with a fourth-runner up trophy, and a newfound love for pageantry. I loved my experience, and the people I met, so much that I returned to compete in the same pageant two years later. And let me tell you…that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The months leading up to the pageant, I re-learned everything I thought I knew. I learned how to walk taller, turn with purpose and poise, sit properly, speak assertively, and enunciate clearly. The more I practiced for the stage, the more confident I got. I felt myself walking taller in the hallways at school, and I was able to hear my voice clearly in a room full of people. Through the small superficial requirements of pageantry, I found myself gaining actual confidence and communications skills. I also learned more about myself and what I am passionate about in the six months leading up to the competition than I had in the past six years. What most people do not know about pageants is that each pageant contestant has a platform. A pageant platform is something the contestant stands for; the reason the young woman is competing. If you want to be cliche, a pageant platform is the individual’s contribution to make the world a better place. For example, my platform is eating disorder awareness. One of my best friends and sister queens has her own non-profit organization called “Have Hope” to help raise money and awareness for mental health. By getting ready for the pageant, I learned just how passionate I am about helping others with eating disorders and educating those who want and/or need to know more.

So if you have ever considered competing in a pageant, stop considering and do it. I guarantee you will meet some of the most amazing people this world has to offer. Pageantry is also the chance to learn something about yourself. And, the biggest proponent for me, you will gain a newfound confidence that wasn’t there before. Pageantry has changed my life, and I encourage anyone interested in the industry to just try it. It has the potential to change your life… I know mine forever is.

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.
Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!