This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

For everyone out there, who may find this month to be super dreadful and oh so unnecessary, let me alter your perspective on February. And more specifically: Valentine’s Day. 

I have always been someone who has admired the idea of Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure if it’s because I am a sucker for those stale sweetheart candies, Disney themed Valentine’s Day cards you would give to your elementary school classmates, or maybe just that the holiday was centered around the color pink and hearts. In previous years, society focuses this holiday on celebrating the love we have for others. Although it’s important to show your love for others, I challenge you to show some love for yourself this Valentine’s Day. We do a lot for ourselves and still fail to be as loving to ourselves as we are to others, so here’s a master list of ways to show yourself some love and be your own Valentine this year. 

A Day At The Nail Salon

Although its super cliché, the first thing that came to mind when thinking about how to treat myself was a manicure. This is something I don’t do necessarily all the time, but when I do I feel way more put together. If you’re feeling courageous, I would even try out some of the newest nail art trends. Even though I am 18 years old, I have no shame in walking around with sparkles or even a ying-yang design on my nails. You only live once, so get that wildly obnoxious design, it’s just nail polish!

Treat yourself to a favorite meal/dessert

Food is the most comforting thing on this planet to me. Nothing brings me more joy then my Mom’s chicken parm fresh out of the oven. Or the mocha chip ice cream from my favorite ice cream shop at the Jersey Shore. Although I’m at school and don’t have the luxury to my mom’s homemade cooking or jersey shore ice cream; I encourage you to think of your favorite meal and or sweet treat and eat up! 

Indulge in a rest day

I used to think being “go go go” 24/7 was the best way to be. Although I hate to admit I am wrong about something, I am definitely wrong about this. I focused more on being busy rather than being productive, which was a total mistake. So, I’m here to tell you that this Valentine’s Day give yourself some rest and listen to your body. Sometimes pushing the reset button and putting on a face mask after a hot shower is the greatest form of self-care. 

Get Off Your Phone

It’s so easy to get wrapped into all the social media posts on a daily basis, let alone on Valentine’s Day. There always seems to be those individuals who can’t stop posting about their significant others. On the contrary, there’s always those individuals who can’t stop posting how they don’t have a significant other to post with. There is simply no happy medium on February 14thth on social media! So, take this day for yourself to get off your phone. Excessively scrolling through what that one particular couple is doing on Valentine’s Day is not going to add anything to your happiness. Put it down, take a break, and find something to do that your future self with thank you for. I recommend picking up a book, making your own chocolate dipped strawberries, or even going on a drive and blasting your music through the closest Starbucks drive-thru. 

Call A Loved One

I know I said to take Valentine’s Day this year to love yourself, but that doesn’t mean you should stop showing love for others as well. Making a simple call or sending a quick text can brighten someone’s whole day, and this should make you feel even better about yourself too! 

Find Peace In Being On Your Own

End the stigma that you need someone else’s approval to be worthy of love. Having others like you and enjoy your presence is a bonus, the real goal is knowing that you are fulfilled with yourself and all that you are.

So, keep on doing all those things that make yourself fulfilled with happiness, especially this Valentine’s Day! It’s important to have loved ones in your life, but never forget that you are the own love of your life. And remember that self-love will solve all of your problems. Be bold, show yourself some love, you deserve it.

Isabella Costanza

Sacred Heart '24

My name is Isabella Costanza and I am a student Sacred Heart University, Class of 2024. My hometown is Livingston, New Jersey. I also am a sister of Chi Omega at Sacred Heart University. I have an older sister and a dog who is a cockapoo! My favorite things to do is exercise (I love my Peloton bike), go shopping, grab coffee, travel (my favorite place to travel to is Hawaii), and spend time with family and friends!