Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness

Habits That Build Confidence

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

Now that we are in 2024, it can be super overwhelming to stay up to date with society. There are always new and faster ways to feel better and look better. Social media plays a huge role in how fast things evolve; we see it everyday, new skin care routines – every single one longer than next, new makeup products, detox recipes etc. It can be super hard to stay confident in your own skin as society continues to surface new ideals to being “perfect”. With this being said, confidence is super important in your everyday life as it can throw away these overwhelming thoughts. When you aren’t confident it can make your everyday life so much harder, as you wont take many risks in life and potentially may end up stuck in places where you don’t actually want to be. Many may not realize but having low self esteem hides within you and has the potential to sabotage your life in ways you wont realize. 

b6DWQvwOdx92h9YFqetwCu5IEEhxZn9vXZAahiGUjJ92CEEyzsR9jZWTY15uVfFwd52ygQxAyFNr5WzbUDuhkdQeCDX8TknKK5OM1r MnPjMasLUf BAaXz2EeRrEX7xssKLB gAgon fd5IfwMwB7s

How can we build confidence in such a fast moving world? 

When you are radiating confidence you start becoming the energy you want to attract, taking smart risks in your life and even making meaningful relationships in your life as well. The thing about confidence is that it’s all about you. You have to work towards it to achieve it. There are things in our life that we can control in order to achieve this high level of self esteem. The first thing I’m going to touch on is taking care of your appearance. It sounds like such a silly thing to talk about but many people including myself skip this step in their daily routine. That has the impact of changing your whole day. Looking like you rolled out of bed to get to class will – believe it or not – make you feel like you just rolled out of bed and will kill your productivity. These are steps that you are in control of to better your confidence:

1. Start with a simple morning routine involving washing your face, brushing your teeth, and grooming your hair (This hygiene step will be a life changer the more consistent you are). Remember there is no need to be obsessive doing this step is essential for not just your confidence but your overall health.  
  1. This next step is taking care of how you dress. Now I’m not saying go spend thousands of dollars on different outfits, I’m saying take the time to start your day in clothes that make you feel empowered and comfortable. Dressing for success is not always the answer but dressing with care about yourself and how you’re gonna make today great is essential. Majority of the time I wear a careless outfit to class that includes sweatshirts and random sweatpants, I came across a quote by Jerry Seinfeld which said “Wearing sweatpants everyday is a sign that you’ve given up on life. Don’t give up on life.” 
  1. This step is my favorite as it helped gain complete control of my life making me feel stronger and happier; it involves me pushing myself. Nobody else matters. Making time for physical activity has been proven to increase many health benefits including self confidence. Finding time in your day to exercise can help you gain energy throughout your day, boost serotonin, and overall being proud of yourself for elevating your own standards. 
  2. When lacking confidence you tend to beat yourself up on your weaknesses and failures. It’s important to ask yourself these questions to remind yourself of the things you are AMAZING at. Start asking yourself these questions …
  • What am I good at?
  • What are things that I’ve done that have resulted in my success? 
  • What are things people have told me I’m good at? 
  • What was a point in my life where I did feel good about myself? 

Reminding yourself of these qualities that you do have will make you more aware of who you are as an overall person and what you have to offer to the world. We are better together !

1. The things that we are grateful for remind us of the wonderful life we choose to live. Developing the act of gratitude has a huge impact on your confidence as it allows your mind to forget about the things that make us overwhelmed and insecure and allow us to focus on the good things in our lives. Having a journal and actually writing these things down helps open your mind to all the things in our lives that make us happy. 

Thankfully each individual person does not have set levels of confidence that you can achieve. This is something we can work towards to better our minds and physical selves to become the best version of ourselves. Take control of your life right now and help yourself live the most purposeful and meaningful life you can. 

Honora Saccu

Sacred Heart '26

Hey I'm Honora Saccu, I love inspiring people to better themselves everyday! You can achieve anything if not more than what you see other people achieving.