Wellness

Does Water Really Keep Your Skin Clear?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The question all women ask themselves is will water really help my skin?  Well, maybe not all women ask that question, but I know I ask myself that question daily as I chug my dehydrating ice coffee yet again ☻ 

To learn more about this theory, I did a little research.  The average person should try to have a least 8 glasses of water a day.  Seems easy enough, so I set out to try this.  I got a big new water bottle and planned to drink two full fills per day to equal my 8 glasses.  I did this for a week and kept up with my results.  I didn’t like the answers the Internet was giving me so I wanted to see if I could answer my own question.

A few days in I was feeling good and drinking water constantly, but what I hated was that I was peeing what seemed to be every 20 to 30 minutes.  This was not cute while sitting through my two and a half hour classes.  As the week went on, my body was getting used to the abnormal (or I guess normal) water intake I was giving it.  The peeing slowed down and I started to feel better in a general sense.  I wasn’t craving the coffee the second I woke up which was a nice change of pace.  

I also took a mental picture of how my skin looked in the beginning of the week so I could notice any small or significant changes by the end of my small experiment.  I’ve had a few occasional pimples that always seem to sprout out of nowhere while I am feeling the Monday blues, but nothing on my face was particularly out of the blue when I started.  By Sunday night though, even the smallest problem spots were either much smaller or barely there.  All I changed was my water intake.  My skin routine is not extensive, but I also continued to wash my face before bed and remove all my make up with makeup wipes to make sure nothing gets on my pillows or stays on my skin too long.

Overall, I answered my own question.  I do believe drinking more water can improve the glow of your skin and keep it healthier.  It is not something hard to do so I am going to try to keep it up.  Just remember the next time you want to get that soda, that your skin is screaming for water!

Meg Rice

Sacred Heart '19

Taylor Swift enthusiast, lover of caramel iced coffee, & sister of Zeta Tau Alpha at Sacred Heart University
Nina Lauria

Sacred Heart

Nina is a Biology major with a Chemistry minor on the Physician's Assistant track. She has always loved medicine just as much as fashion and blogging. Nina hopes to one day concentrate in Pediatric Oncology and help find a cure for cancer!