This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

The Basics: 

Name: Julia Gatto

Year:  Junior

Major:  Interdisciplinary Studies (Elementary Education)

Hometown:  Huntington, NY

Relationship Status: Single

Campus Involvements:  Chief Recruitment Officer of Kappa Alpha Theta, Math Club Treasurer, Public Affairs Chair of the 2020 Student Government Class Board, BuildOn Volunteer, Theater Arts Member

Hobbies/Interests: Crafting, going to Target for no reason, and watching Netflix

Favorites:

On-campus spot: The Mohog after it closes because I get a lot of work done and it’s peaceful in there.

Food: Anything with chocolate

TV show: The Office

Place to shop: American Eagle

Holiday: Thanksgiving

Q&A:

What is your favorite part about SHU?

I love how homey the campus feels. SHU has this positive aura that you just can’t find anywhere else.

You just wrapped up the first official recruitment weekend as Chief Recruitment Officer for Kappa Alpha Theta! What was that experience like?

The weekend was nonstop. I got a total of 12 hours of sleep in 3 days and drank coffee like it was water. Even though I was sleep deprived and shaking from caffeine, the overall weekend went amazing. There were a few bumps here and there but my sisters and I powered through. Recruitment really brought our organization so much closer together. I saw a lot of my sisters break out of their comfort zones, have really genuine conversations, and do their part to let a lot of girls get to know what our organization is all about! It really was a team effort, each girl played a different yet major role in ensuring we had a successful first primary recruitment.

What do you love most about being part of a newer sorority on campus?  

I love the Greek life community. It sounds cheesy but no matter the letters, we’re always together. Girls in other Greek life organizations have had open arms since we first became a chapter last fall semester. Without the continuous support and kind words from the other organizations, we really wouldn’t be where we are now.

Judging from your endless involvements, you seem to be a pretty busy person…what are some of your favorite ways to de-stress after a long week?  

After a long week, I like to do a facemask, lay in bed, and watch Netflix (of course, I make Toll House chocolate chip cookies too!)

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

If you asked me this question a year and a half ago, I would’ve told you that I’d be an accountant at KPMG or EY. However, I switched my major to education my sophomore year when I realized I had a passion for teaching. In 5 years, I hope to be an elementary school teacher on Long Island. I’m thinking about 1st or 2nd grade students, but who knows, things may change by then.

Carolyn Lisboa

Sacred Heart '20

Sacred Heart University Class of 2020 Marketing/Digital Communications/Information Technology International student from India 
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.