rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Relax and Practice Self-Care For The Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

The fall season is my most favorite time of the year, but also the worst. There are so many upcoming holidays and exciting events to anticipate during the fall season. I adore the perfect autumn weather, but I also dread studying for exams, homework and projects altogether. It can make life hectic. So I’m here to give some guidance on how you can prepare and make sure you practice self-care for the rest of the year! 

1. Take 10-15 Minutes Out of Your Day for Yourself

Photo Courtesy of Scott Webb

A lot of people have told me they are either too busy or some other excuse to justify not relaxing. I get it because I’ve been there before, but the truth is no one will ever have the time unless you MAKE the time. Whether its one, five or 10 minutes, just take a few moments out of your day to do something that will take your mind off your busy life.

I’m a person who doesn’t believe in breaks. The way I choose to run my lifestyle is different from everyone, so you have to find something that works for you. From my own experience, after being productive, I felt terrible and more sick every day because I don’t take the time to relax. Taking even just a few minutes of your day isn’t going to hurt anybody. Take a few minutes to focus on a simple task like, eating, stretching, meditation or mindful breathing.

2. Engage in Your Favorite Hobby

Photo by Helena Lopez from Pixels

I don’t know about everyone, but I love reading and it is a great way for me to relax. Personally, I’ve always enjoyed reading. It has always been a quick way for me to escape from my life and immerse myself into a new world. I used to read novels everyday, but I stopped and just read fanfictions due to my busy lifestyle. However, I’ve been recently getting back into it. I’ve found reading is a great way for me to pass the time and relax because I can explore an imaginative world while learning something new. Regardless of the genre, books contain knowledge and something to gain so you can still feel productive while reading! Not to mention, the chilly weather is the perfect time to read. If you’re not a fan of reading, no worries! Do what you love or whatever makes you happy. For example, going to concerts, hanging with friends, playing a sport and so on are other fun activities to enjoy too!

3. Take a Walk

Photo by Pixabay from Pixels

I enjoy going out for a walk whenever my life becomes too busy and overwhelming. Not only is it good exercise, it also boosts our mood.  When going for a walk, it allows us to stop and admire things we’d never notice before. It’s especially peaceful to appreciate and smell the nature around us. Walking in general is calming and soothing, especially during the fall season. Personally, I love stomping on the leaves to hear the crunch sound, meet new people and explore new places.

4. Be Kind to Yourself & Learn to Set Boundaries (Learning to Say NO)

Photo Courtesy of Bethany Legg

The truth is we are so overwhelmed with work or deadlines, that we can’t do it all at once. That is when we need to do our best to set a stopping point for ourselves. I was able to realize this when someone told me that I needed to keep pushing myself, but I’m only human and I have my limits. I have to be kind to myself and call it a day sometimes. It’s better to rest and come back stronger when you are ready to face those challenges the next day.

For example, I am at school from early morning and to arriving home in the late evening, after dinnertime. When I get home, I make sure to be in bed by midnight, which is my stopping point. It’s still late, but that’s a huge accomplishment for me. Self-care is not easy. I fail at getting a good amount of sleep almost everyday, but I put in an effort to get to bed at least 15 minutes earlier each night. I’m working on getting better, and it’s important to understand, this is a work in progress. It will not happen overnight. It will only work by putting in the effort and staying consistent. I feel like we often forget to care for ourselves because we’re so focused on our goals and deadlines. Whether it’s taking 5 minutes to surf the web, watch TV, exercising, etc., as long as an effort is being made, it is something to be proud of.

5. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help or to Talk About Your Feelings

Photo by Skitterphoto from Pixels

This is really hard for me to do. I don’t really like asking people for help because I feel I’ll get judged, but sometimes I do need help. I’m also viewed as a role model for teenage girls in high school, so I feel pressured to set a strong example for them. I want to help negate the fear or stigma of seeking help because we shouldn’t feel or be seen as weak. Instead, we are strong to be honest and ask for help. We’re all afraid of being vulnerable, but if no one takes that first step then nothing gets addressed and the problem or situation will persist. It helps to share openly with someone you trust and love. You don’t have to share everything with all of the details. You can simply share how you feel so it isn’t bottled up inside of you.

Not everyone will be open to helping or taking the time for you. So, you need to find someone who wants to be there for you and free their time to talk with you. Whether it’s your family, friend or someone else you feel close with. There are plenty of resources at school, in the community, within your social circle, all who are willing to lend a hand. The WELL at Sacramento State offers a variety of fitness and health services such as counseling so you can take advantage of as a college student at no additional cost. During the beginning of this month, I went to talk to a counselor because of the amount of stress I was feeling. Talking about it won’t always solve your situation or problem, but it can improve it by letting yourself de-stress and help you figure out what you can do to move forward. I highly recommend seeing a counselor at least once a year because it is a confidential appointment and it’s a great way to de-stress, gain a fresh perspective, have multiple options to solve your problems, vent all of your feelings and opinions with zero judgment.

Jasmine Duong

Sacramento '22

Hello, I’m Jasmine Duong. I’m a second year at Sacramento State, majoring in pre-nursing with a minor in dance and/or nutrition. My hobbies include reading, doing makeup, exercising, hanging with anyone, shopping, & dancing! If I’m not studying, you can find me all over campus socializing!