This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Driving is considered a privilege and a responsibility. As a commuter, I’ve learned how to drive a little safer on campus. We should protect the students of Sacramento State and in our communities and drive safely on and off campus. I tend to feel anxious when driving so I am a little slower to make sure I am aware of my surroundings. These are just a few tips I live by on a daily basis to make sure I am driving safely on campus to prevent accidents and collisions. 

Drive slow on campus.

Always drive the posted speed limit on campus. There are thousands of students at Sacramento State and driving can be hectic, especially if you see a whole lot of students coming in the direction you are driving. If you drive the posted speed, which is 25 mph, you are in control of the vehicle and you are also aware of pedestrians. I love driving slow because I have more control over my vehicle and it’s the best thing to do especially when there are a lot of students using the crosswalks. 

Stay away from your phone.

Self-control people! Before I start driving and get on the road I turn on my playlist and set my music for the drive. Putting away your phone won’t just keep you safe but others as well. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each day in the United States, approximately 9 people are killed and more than 1,000 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver. My biggest advice for people who drive is too keep the phone away when you are driving. Your life is way more important than responding to a Snapchat. Also, so many vehicles have voice-activated systems where the system communicates orally and it’s hands-free. You don’t have to worry about texting because your car system can activate from hearing your voice. Before you touch your phone next time just remember many people lose their lives from distracted driving. 

Leave your house 2-3 hours before your class.

I am pretty sure you hear this all the time but it honestly is a good tip. I purposefully choose an early morning to class to beat traffic both on and off campus.  When you have a class early in the morning you are forced to wake up early and there is a ton of parking spots available. You don’t have to have the stress of not finding a good parking spot. It is convenient to leave your house 2-3 hours before your class starts because you never know and driving can be unpredictable. Giving yourself more time to help save you the anxiety of not finding a parking space. If you didn’t already know the Sacramento State app tells you how full the parking is in all of the parking slots and it’s super convenient.

Driving can be irritating at times and hectic at others but remember to keep a reasonable space between your car and the car in front of you. Always check your surroundings and be cautious at all times. Also, don’t play or text on your phone while driving. It is not safe for you and others on the road. Just remember to be safe, be patient and drive slow on campus.   

Roya Zaki

Sacramento '22

Hi, My name is Roya Zaki and I'm a writer. I am currently a freshman at Sacramento State majoring in Biology currently pre-med also. I love reading books on wattpad. I'm your typical Pisces I love watching youtube videos and I love listening to music some of my favorite artists are: Ariana Grande, Due Lipa, 5SOS, Justin Bieber, Khalid, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Any member of One Direction.