The Best Lyrics of Summer Walker’s “Still Over It” Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

You are either going through a breakup, are in a healthy relationship, are a fan of Summer Walker, or are sliding down the walls in your bedroom at 3 AM crying for dramatic effect. If any of these apply to you, you must have listened to Summer Walker’s new album, Still Over It.

Now, this is an album with such worthy Instagram captions that I will definitely be using in the future. All the lyrics relate to breakups, healing, realizing you are the best and don’t need anyone, that relationships suck, and that overall, life is a rollercoaster full of emotions. Summer executed all of this beautifully.

Here are some of the best and most relatable lyrics from Still Over It (in no particular order).

1. “Bitter” (Narration By Cardi B) by Summer Walker & Cardi B

“Bitter , mad at me, mad at my man,

Mad at the fact he ain’t with you,

Mad at the fact that it’s me”

These lyrics are one of the best ways to open the album with. It definitely is a representation of Summer being in the denial stage of coming to terms with the fact that her partner is cheating on her.

2.   “No Love” by Summer Walker & SZA

“Come to find out you weren’t even worth my time,

Tried to act like I wasn’t good enough in your eyes,

Funny now that you callin’, that you ringin’ my line”

We have all come across a guy who has treated us like garbage and made us think they were worth the effort. But once they see you doing better without them, they will be dialling your line. Major loss on the guy’s end; they helped you gain a win by making you realize you are better than what they had to offer.

3. “Throw It Away” 

“I’ve been takin’ on all this baggage, Addin’ on so much weight

Had me thinkin’ that I was average, When you’re really to blame”

This lyric had me in a chokehold when I heard it for the first time because when I’ve been in relationships, I took all the baggage of the person I was talking to, which ended up weighing me down from growing and becoming my own person. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever been appreciated in relationships; I’ve always been treated as an average Joe and told that I was too “emotional.” In reality, I just deserved better.

4. “You Don’t Know Me”

“We lost in translation

I’m honestly runnin’ out of patience

Communication just don’t seem to work”

Every relationship comes across barriers; no relationship will be problem-free. In this lyric, Summer focuses on communication and how she is running out of patience with her significant other. Communication is definitely key when it comes to relationships. When there’s no communication, it leads to overthinking, trust issues and the loss of being able to understand your significant other.

5. “Insane” 

“God bless me

God help me, oh

I think I’m insane, ah”

I sang this lyric while sliding down my wall (embarrassing but true). Summer is begging for help because she thinks she is going insane about believing things and questions her relationship. The feeling of going insane and crying for help is a basically a sign of your partner emotionally manipulating you.

6. “Broken Promises” 

“You’re not the man I thought you were

And they tried to warn me

Yeah, they tried to warn me”

Friends can detect red flags before you can. If your friends warn you and you choose to ignore it, remember these lyrics and get out!

7. “4th Baby Mama” 

“I wanna start with your mama, she should’ve whooped your ass”

This lyric isn’t that great, it’s just hilarious because she has no filter. I feel like many girls have had a moment where they thought to themselves, “Has their mother not taught them anything about respect?” It’s not an insult, it’s just the honest truth.

8. “Ciara’s Prayer” by Summer Walker & Ciara

“Lord, thank you for reminding me who I am, I am a queen, 

I deserve to be treated like one. 

I’m a warrior, I will get up”

This song was a perfect way to end off the whole album. It’s about realizing that you deserve better. I hope every girl remembers these lyrics and reminds herself that she is a queen who deserves the best.

Overall, this album has even more lyrics that are just as amazing as they are relatable. The emotions I felt throughout this album speak to how amazing and talented Summer Walker is and her ability to take common emotions and verbalize them so eloquently. She spoke to all of us and that’s what makes this album a masterpiece.

Bana Yirgalem

Toronto MU '24

Bana Yirgalem is currently studying towards a major in journalism as well as a minor in PR. She's obsessed with everything basketball, pop culture, music, entertainment, and fashion. Her main goal is to inspire young Black girls and give them the opportunity to see more representation of themselves in the media. Follow her on IG and X @banayirgalem for more content