Wellness

The Best Places to Unwind Near Ryerson University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

University can be fun, but there are also moments when it can be extremely stressful and prompt a million different thoughts about dropping out. We all know it’s important to stay on top of your school work, but at the end of the day, you need to relax and find a way to release your stress. 

The perfect way to do that is to unwind and just have fun. Whether you need a calm night at home, or you want to go out and have fun, there are many ways to de-stress. These are my top picks for things for Ryerson University students to do after a hard day of work:

The Yonge St. Warehouse (or anywhere else that sells cheap food)

Let’s face it, whether you love or hate it, university is not the best thing for your bank account, and neither is living in Toronto. Yet everyone deserves a night out every once in a while, regardless of how much money they have. That’s why cheap pubs and restaurants – or as cheap as you can get in Toronto, anyway – are the perfect places to hang out and loosen up after a hard week. Warehouse is known for being a common hangout for Ryerson students, since everything on the menu is priced at $5.95.

Battle Sports rage room

Anger is an ugly emotion, but we’re only human and we all have those moments where we want to punch the wall or throw something. It’s important to not repress your anger, and although I normally disagree with destruction or violence of any kind, the rage room is actually a harmless and effective way to release anger. Starting at $19.99, you’re given a bunch of destructive weapons, such as baseball bats and crowbars along with protective gear, then allowed to unleash all your pent-up anger for 45 minutes without having to worry about any repercussions afterward.

The gym

The 2001 Legally Blonde movie said it best, “Exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy.” Regardless of whether you hate or love it, exercise makes you feel energized and has been proven to help brain activity, making it the perfect thing to do before or after any assignments, classes or exams.

A coffee shop

You might have already visited one in the morning, but there’s something different about going to a coffee shop at the end of the day. Rather than being used to give you energy, coffee shops can also be a calm and simple pleasure. You can go and catch up with friends or you can go alone and read a book. Either way, a coffee shop can be an awesome place to de-stress.

Relax at home

Whether it’s face masks, Netflix or simply going to bed early, we all have something that makes us feel at ease and happier. Going out is great but sometimes the best thing you can do after a hectic day is just go home and be alone. It’s peaceful, relaxing and can be the perfect way to recuperate and feel refreshed for tomorrow.

Relax with a friend

A night in with friends can often be the perfect way to end the day. You don’t have to worry about how you look or having to go out, but still get to spend the night having fun with the people you care about. You and your friends can choose whether you want a simple, wild or somewhere-in-between kind of night.

When you’ve had a rough day, things are usually better the morning after. Sometimes though you can still hold on to those negative feelings, especially when it’s the time of year when all your assignments are due all at once. There are definitely going to be days when you hate university or maybe just need a break. Either way, it’s important to unwind at the end of the day so you can continue being the boss student you are.

Blake Fox

Toronto MU '22

Blake Fox is a third-year Journalism student, with minors in English and Sociology at Ryerson University in Toronto. She was born and raised in Amherstburg, Ontario and developed a love for reading and writing at a young age. Her other interests include theatre, dance and song-writing.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.