This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Winter time and exam season are upon us. It is a time for turtlenecks, coffee, and for texting your friends, “I’m dying.” The pressure is on and the temperature is dropping—it’s no wonder so many of us are feeling out of it. 

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD—how ironic an acronym) is the technical term for people diagnosed with seasonal depression. Aleksandra Lalovic, a psychotherapist based in Toronto, says that seasonal depression is linked to light patterns because of the shorter days in the winter. 

“Also, this time of year with the holidays approaching, people often experience a lot of social pressures,” says Lalovic. “Whether that would be feeling like it’s a time of togetherness and socializing—and perhaps they don’t have those social connections.” 

And though many of us aren’t diagnosed with SAD, it’s common for people to have lower energy and moods at this time of the year. After all, ’tis the season to be salty. 

Here are some tips to combat seasonal depression:

Go outside as much as you can

Though the weather can easily deter us from spending any time outdoors, fresh air and light exposure can go a long way. Lalovic says if you’re stuck in a dark office or apartment all day, taking a lunch break outside helps improve your mood. On the weekends, find some outdoor activities that would encourage you to get out of the house. Skating, going to the Christmas market, or even just taking a short walk around your neighbourhood could prove beneficial. 

Get a lightbox

If you’re a basement dweller like me, chances are those tiny windows aren’t cutting it. Lalovic recommends sitting by a lightbox once daily for 30 minutes. Light therapy has been reported to work in 8 per cent of cases of SAD, and they’re pretty accessible to come by. You can find them at Shoppers Drug Mart, or your doctor can even prescribe you one.

Cook food at home instead of ordering in

I know, winter weight gain is a thing. A real, easy, annoying, and god-awful thing. We’re lazy. The supermarket is 10 minutes too far. Butter chicken is two-clicks away on my phone. There’s a lot of forces working against you when it comes to managing a holiday diet, but there are so many problematic things that can come from constantly ordering food as well. 

Mentally, it feels good being able to cook for yourself. Physically, whatever you’re making is probably a hell of a lot healthier than A&W. Financially—oh my lord! Financially, you will save. Last year, my inbox was a stack of emails repeating, “Thank you for ordering…” over and over until my bank account texted me saying, “U good?” No. I’m not good. I ordered McDonald’s twice in one day, and I hate myself.

Take vitamin D

Since we don’t get to see the sunshine as much in the winter, most people are probably lacking in vitamin D without even realizing it. Try grabbing a bottle of vitamin D supplements from your local drug store to make up for that lack of sunlight. 

Practice good sleep hygiene

“What’s that?” You may ask, peering at me with your bloodshot eyes from behind your textbook. Well kids, you know how our beds feel like foreign entities? Lying on our pillows asking ourselves, what is this strange, spectacular feeling? That’s apparently not a good sign. Lalovic says practicing a routine sleep keeps your body’s internal clock in check so you can fall asleep and wake up more quickly. It’s also a great way to de-stress. Sleep is good. We like to sleep.

Exercise

Easier said than done. Personally, I book classes online that have cancellation fees, so I’m almost forced to go. I never regret it after, though!

Take a step back from the family if you need to

Lalovic says if you have a stressful family situation, try to permit yourself to distance yourself. “If that means not visiting the family during the holidays—and that’s going to be helpful for your wellness—then that can be a step to take,” says Lalovic.

Seek professional help

If you’re feeling helpless and feel like you might need treatment or medication, there is no shame in reaching out to a doctor or therapist. They can walk you through some options and give you the resources you need. 

If you’re feeling depressed and need to talk to someone, call Ryerson’s student helpline at 1-866-925-5454 or visit Ryerson’s counselling centre at Jorgenson Hall (JOR-07C). You can also call the 24-hour Distress Centre of Toronto at 416-408-4357.

Pia Araneta

Toronto MU '21

I am a journalism student at Ryerson University in Toronto. I write humour, opinion and lifestyle pieces with a focus on women and feminism. I was a sex columnist at The Gateway and The Martlet and have my own blog, Ladyish.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.