Wellness

How to Make Time for Self-Care Even With a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Being in college, whether that’s online during the pandemic or in person, time really does fly just from doing schoolwork. A heavy workload is inevitable, but finding a way to squeeze in some self care definitely helps ease the stress of a hectic schedule. Here are some tips that I’ve found help to limit my stress and increase my serotonin:

1. The first step in reaching some form of peace under immense stress is to make an agenda for the rest of the week. Planning out future assignments and writing down upcoming deadlines is super helpful in visualizing everything that there is to do. Sorting this work out in a manageable way without overextending yourself will help ease the stress and anxiety and allow you some time to breathe and take care of yourself.

2. Go to the gym at night. Maybe it’s just me, but waking up in the morning and forcing myself to go to the gym, knowing how much work I have to get done for the day is the last thing I want to do. The gym is a great way to relieve stress and stay healthy which is a perfect method of self care after a busy day. Going to the gym at night lets you blow off steam without worrying about having to be in class, rush to finish an assignment, etc. After the gym, you’ll hopefully feel even more accomplished, and you can take your time to wash the day off before bed.

3. Get ready in the morning! I don’t just mean throw on some sweatpants and brush your teeth- although a lazy day is necessary. When I feel stressed, and know I have a busy day ahead of me, the best way to get started is by taking time for myself to get ready. Play music, pick out a favorite outfit, style your hair, put on some makeup, and walk out the door feeling your best. One of my favorite sayings and definitely most stood by is if you look good, you feel good, you do good. 

4. Make time for friends. Talking to friends is definitely a great way to destress and have someone to talk to that will listen. Knowing other people are in the same boat as you and being able to talk to them about what you’re stressing over can have both of you figure out a way to get everything done. Sometimes they’ll even have some helpful solutions for you.

Hello! My name is Angela and I'm a sophomore architecture major, minoring in business management and sustainability. When I'm not in school, I love to hike, hang out with friends, and shop.
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!