This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

With finals drawing near, it is hard not to feel the end of semester burnout. The weather is getting warmer, summer is so close, how could you not? Take it from me, a second semester senior, it’s worth it to avoid the burnout and finish your semester strong! Here are three tips I have followed each semester to make sure I avoid my end of semester burnout..

Stay organized. 

This is probably the most important tip for avoiding end of semester burnout. Staying organized ensures that you know exactly what to do. That means opening your planner and writing down every due date, every assignment, every final, and every project. This helps me at the end of the semester because each time I complete something on my planner, it motivates me to keep going because I can see how close I am to being done. Staying organized also helps with reducing stress when trying to figure out the last set of homework and assignments. 

Take breaks.

This second tip is important not only for school purposes, but it is also important for your mental health. We all know how the end of semester feels like with final exams and projects piling up at the same time. It is hard not to feel overwhelmed and overworked, which causes burnout. Do not forget to take breaks. This means closing your textbooks and laptops and finding something to do other than work. You can get a coffee with a friend, go for a walk, take a nap, eat a snack, go to the gym, whatever you want! Believe me, you will thank yourself for taking that 30 minute nap when you are up all night studying for that final. 

Look at the bigger picture. 

This last tip has helped me a lot during my college career. For me, looking at the bigger picture has motivated me to avoid end of semester burnout by reminding myself of the goals I want to accomplish. I made a goal for myself freshman year to make the Dean’s List every semester of my college career. If I didn’t avoid end of semester burnout, I wouldn’t have accomplished this. I kept reminding myself of my end goal and if I didn’t go the extra mile of studying for an extra few hours or editing my final papers, I wouldn’t make the Dean’s List. It will also make you feel so much better when you crush your goal instead of crying over the D you got on your final paper. 

With that being said, I hope I can help everyone who reads this can avoid their end of semester burnout and finish the semester strong! You have worked so hard to get where you are, so don’t let yourself down now! Good luck!

My name is Micayla Kelley and I am a senior in college from Connecticut, attending college in Rhode Island. I am most passionate about art, graphic design, flowers, friends, and family.
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!