Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
Style

The 90’s and 2000’s are Coming Back and the Summer Trends Are All About Brown!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

The 90’s are coming back this year with trends falling into the category of 90’s jeans and 2000’s dresses styled in a harmonious new mix. We’ve all heard the aggressive new claims that skinny jeans are out- a prime example of how fast fashion moves. Especially today with unlimited accessible and shareable new fashion ideas debuted on every platform.

Let’s talk about brown. The chocolate color has been everywhere- silks, polyesters- corset tops, sweats. People can’t seem to get enough – in a sort of 90’s/2000’s combo we can expect the Summer fashion to be of brown hues and thick gold jewelry. We know in what ways the 90’s have taken over fashion these past few months – with light wash straight leg Levis and Air Force One’s on every block, but how have the 2000’s intersected this? 

In a sister-category, you could say, 2000’s fashion has embedded itself seamlessly into that of the 90’s trends we see today. The notorious short handled purses found in movies like 13 going on 30, Clueless and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen – oh and John Tucker Must Die (a classic) have made a magnificent come back stretching farther than just your Halloween costume. Now embedded in today’s day to day fashion, you can see how brown has taken over this new-found aesthetic. 

Now that we’ve settled how brown has entered the 90’s/2000 fashion horizon we also see an emergence of colors with the same soft hue. Yellows, light pinks and light greens have come as a common pair with the previously mentioned staple -straight leg Levis. Unbuttoned Cardigans have served as a simple layering piece that has been widely appreciated. Pair your fitted, cropped cardigan with a white tank top and a pair of light wash jeans. To really emanate the current trends- use a hair clip and some gold hooped earrings. Now you’re ready to romanticize the 90’s! 

In the movies and fashion that we adored like Hitched, 10 things I Hate About You, Clueless and John Tucker Must Die – the romanticism of feminine youth lies within us all. The romance, the quirkiness, the group calls and the angelic nature of a 90’s youth has clearly inspired more than a few. What can we take from these movies? What can we take from the romantic culture and the passive beauty of 90’s fashion portrayed in the illustration of women and their individual stories?  The power of how you look at your life. 

Channeling these feel-good, feminine and nostalgic movies into our fashion and our lifestyle is a way to feel our connectedness. A way to remember the teenage years we all share – the excitement of romance and the love of our quirky, exciting and girlish rituals that will likely last a lifetime. Talking on the phone with your friends- a first date, a dress for the dance and the love and support you felt from your best friends after a boy did you dirty. 

It’s a culture many can connect to and it’s a romantic and free time in a women’s life- in a romantic, 2000’s world, where we make mistakes and get back up- where we express ourselves in quirky and girly fashion and we allow ourselves to see the big picture of our angelic young lives.

Hi, I'm Hannah! I am a Senior Marketing major at Roger Williams University. I love to design clothing, go swimming and thrift with my friends. HerCampus is such an authentic way for women to come together and see how connected we all really are. xoxo
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!